2003 Saturn VUE Snow chains w/ P215/70R16

I just bought a Saturn VUE 4-cyclinder and plan to go to the snow at the end of the month.
Has anyone used snow cables (chains) on their vue with Tire size P215/70R16???
The user's manual says, If you have P235/XXRXX then do not use chains.....does this mean if I do not, I can use cables (chains)??
I just bought a Saturn VUE 4-cyclinder and plan to go to the snow at the end of the month.
Has anyone used snow cables (chains) on their vue with Tire size P215/70R16???
The user's manual says, If you have P235/XXRXX then do not use chains.....does this mean if I do not, I can use cables (chains)?? Has anyone tried it?

end of the month.

P215/70R16???
chains.....does this mean if I do not, I can use cables (chains)?? Has anyone tried it?
When I lived in the Sierras in California where chains were required, I purchased Spider-Chains. They are wonderful. Easy to install and give great traction. You can find more information about them at http://www.spikesspider.com /.
My Saturn dealer sold them to me.
HTH, Brigitte
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:21:36 -0600, "Woody39"

I went through this same problem last month.
If you stick your hand between the top of the front tires and the strut, you'll see there's barely enough room for a finger to fit in there, let alone any kind of tire chain. It's possible that a really thin, flat cable MIGHT fit through there, but I'm not sure I'd want to risk it.
Saturn recommends something called a Spike Spider which is hideously expensive (about $400) which attaches to the outside wheel rim and extends to cover most of the tread, without interfering with the strut. I have no idea how well this would work.
I ended up not using anything at all. I think it'll depend on how much snow you intend to drive in, and how often. I mean, it IS a four wheel drive vehcile, that should be enough for most adverse driving conditions.
Cathy
My fault....I failed to mention something:
My vue is a FWD, so something would be needed if the road gets realy snowie (is that a word?)
You are correct, thought, not much clearance between the tire and the strut, I was just wondering if anyones has tried cables with it anyways and how it turned out. Cause those spyder things are expensive!

end of the month.

P215/70R16???
chains.....does this mean if I do not, I can use cables (chains)??

They work great. Yes, they are expensive, but if the law requires you to use chains, they are well worth the expense. They install in less than 5 minutes.

You're lucky your state doesn't require anything in the snow.
I mean, it IS a four wheel

Not if you live in California, where even 4wd vehicles require snow chains.
Brigitte
Ok...I went ahead and tried it. With tire size P215/70R16 tire cables WILL work (this tire size is what comes with the 4-cyl). Worked greater, and only for $30 (no ABS on my model)
NOTE: Only with tire size P215/70R16 calbes will work...