2004 Saturn Vue Possible problem?

With Transmission failure prompts Honda recall going on, Is this the same transmission in my 2004 Saturn VUE? I have been told that its the same engine and transmission that Honda uses in their Pilot. Anybody have any more definite answers??????????

Reply to
<TVFan

No, but Consumer Reports gives the VUE transmission their highest rating in their Reliability History chart. That's just for 2002 though.

-

Girls dig guys who drive black cars.

Reply to
Black Cars

Which Saturn transmission? There are at least four possibilities:

4 cylinder, 4 speed Manual 4 cylinder, VTi GM 6 cylinder, GM Automatic Honda 6 cylinder, Honda Automatic

I am a lucky VTi owner - can't imagine it has the highest rating from anyone. However, I actaully like it, but I am nervous with the recalls, negative news reports, and extended warranty Saturn provided. Mine has not actually failed, although it did make some strange noises under some conditions before the dealer added the magic additives and reprogrammed the PCM.

As for the Honda automatic - That transmission has been giving Hhonda fits for at least 4 years. Surely they have the bugs ironed out by now. And since the Vue is lighter than the Pilot, MDX, or Odyssey, it should put less stress on the transmission. Just pray you don't get one of the porous engine blocks.......

Regard,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

This is from Consumer Reports 2003 Used Car Buying Guide. They rate the reliability history on the first VUE model. They gave it their highest rating in all but four categories - Electrical, Suspension, Exhaust, and Body Integrity. This may be dated information however.

However, I actaully like it, but I am

-

Girls dig guys who drive black cars.

Reply to
Black Cars

What's up with porous engine blocks?

mh

Reply to
Matt Hayden

Honda/Acura had a major problem with porous engine block castings. Oil would weep out through the porosity. Hopefully it is resolved by now. Honda is very secretive and tries to avoid issuing service bulletins. However, in this case one was issued. Short of replacing the engine, the fix was to coat the weeping area with JB Weld. Not a very elegant fix.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I think you are fixated on this problem with porous Honda engine blocks. I am a regular reader of rec.autos.makers.honda and I had never heard of it. So I did a Google search and found only 9 times where it has come up in the history of Usenet. Five of these times it was you who raised the issue. Only once was the issue raised by a Honda owner who actually had the problem. At least twice it was mentioned that the problem affected only a tiny number of cars. It certainly wasn't a "major problem."

Reply to
satyr