Vue 2004: heated mirrors?

I'm thinking of buying a 2004 Vue (probably V6 with AWD, it gets cold and snows in Ottawa ;). My current vehicle is a 1991 Explorer purchased new in 1990.

My Explorer has nothing power at all, except I added a remote starter about two years ago. I don't much care if I have power mirrors or not, but it looks like I'll end up with them. What will really bug me is that they're not heated (a big deal in winter here). Now I understand manual mirrors not being heated, but not power mirrors!

Is it practical to get heated mirrors added as an aftermarket thing? Would it cause warranty trouble?

Any other advice on this? It's been a long time since I bought a vehicle (14 years actually :). The other thing that bugs me about the Vue is that the rear window doesn't open separately -- right now I can't open my rear gate for all the stuff dumped in the back!

Thanks!

andrew

andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber

It seemed weird to me, too. I traded in a Jetta GLS for my Vue. The Jetta had far more cool little features like that. What's up with that? Impressing customers (like me, anyway) is best done when it shows the designers paid attention to detail.

Probably not. My '03 Vue's side mirrors didn't have any problems last winter (I'm in Rochester, New York - we get a lot of snow.)

Dunno. Ask your dealer.

If it won't void your warranty, get it. You might also look into heated seats (available only with the leather option. My Saturn told me heated seats made of cloth would burst into flame. Funny how that never happened on my Jetta....)

The Vue does well in the snow. No worries.

Erm...don't dump so much stuff in the back?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Talley

Well the rear window on the 1991 Explorer has a maximum width of

47-1/2"!! So no one is immune. But as I said, it will bug me to have power there and no heating.

The salesman has been telling me it's no problem. Today I called the place he recommended (which I've used before, coincidentally) and they said there's no heated mirror for the Vue. :(

The problem with non-heated mirrors of course is when you go into a damp parking garage from a cold outside. I still like the Vue, but as you say I want that attention to detail.

It looks to me like I can get heated seats without going to leather. First you need the Power Package (standard on V6, optional on I4):

Package - Power: includes power windows, power door locks, remote keyless entry, content theft, anti-lock out and theft deterrent system, auto diming rearview mirror with compass and temperature, power remote control side mirrors, cruise control, overhead console light, and automatic light control

then the Comfort Package (optional on all):

Package - Comfort: includes 6-way power driver seat, heated front seat, manual lumbar (requires power package)

Alternatively, the Leather Package requires the Power Package too:

Package ? Leather: includes leather seating surfaces, leather wrapped steering wheel with leather shifter knob, requires power package. (Leather shifter knob not available with manual FWD, 4 cyl.)

So maybe they've taken your non-inflammatory remarks ;) to heart. Those descriptions are copied from

but the US site looks about the same.

Sure that's your answer to everything. Oh wait, you're not my ex. ;) You're right of course. The thing is, it isn't just junk piling up, it's also that's how I load and unload most things (up to a 24 of Diet Coke) with the Explorer. Maybe I can live with the fixed window. But I love the opening window so much! (OTOH Kia Sorento has an opening window but it's so high a shorter person can't reach in).