95 Saturn SL2 Stalls when stopping

I have a standard transmission, 95 Saturn SL2 that stalls when stopping. It typically idles at 900 rpm, but drops down to 200-300 rpm when stopping, usually stalling. Funny thing is that when the A/C is on, it "only" drops down to about 500 rpm and avoids stalling.

The weather is getting nice out and I would like not to have to run the A/C to keep it from stalling. Any ideas?

Reply to
ML

My 97 SC2.....auto trans. does that sometimes. Ususally in the winter. Sometimes it stalls and sometimes it doesn`t. It is starting to do it again. On my car it is the pcv valve that is the problem......it gets clogged with white junk. The first time it happenned I replaced the pcv ..........it got worse faster after that. Now I just clean out the original with carb. cleaner. Works for me. Dan.

Reply to
Brigg222

Take a look at the small hose that is connected to the pvc valve. On my 93 SW1 the hose being close to the motor developed a crack from the heat causing a vacuum leak which was causing the idle to be erratic and stalling. I replaced the piece of hose with a new one and it fixed the problem.

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

My 95 SW2 has this problem too. PCV valve. Code 32. Cleaning it solves the problem for a while. I get black junk instead of white junk. Glad to hear replacing it does not help. You saved me some money that I was about to spend.

Reply to
Detector195

I believe that the code 32 error is the EGR valve, not the PCV. You need to unclip the connector and remove the EGR (two bolts), then clean it and the manifold thoroughly before reassembling using a new EGR gasket (about $3). I cleaned mine using a small screwdriver and a wire brush tip on a dremel rotary tool. If you do it right, you will remove a lot of black powdery deposits from the EGR and the valve should ultimately move freely and not stick in the open or closed positions

This should solve your intermittent SES light problem if it is in fact caused by a code 32.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Oops, you're right! I meant EGR valve! And I did pretty much as you say. Question: Is there any further disassembly of the EGR valve possible, or do you just have to reach into the cavities as well as possible?

Reply to
Detector195

Great products for cleaning EGR valves, throttle bodies, etc. can be had at the nearest gun shop. I use a product for removing gunpower residue (G96, don't remember the company name) and it works great. I've used it on throttle bodies and my SL2's EGR valve. It takes stuff off that kerosene and other solvents leave. It's amazing to spray it on and see the crud come off.

In any case it's easier and safer than scraping and works well.

There are a lot of brand names, you can probably take your pick.

Jim

Reply to
Jim, N2VX