1995 Saturn SL2

I have a 95 Saturn, with a 98 DOHC engine and trans. It has been running great for six months til lately. It has developed a no power situation. When it goes into 3rd gear (auto) it surges. When I rev the engine up in neutral it is fine. Also top speed is 50 mph on the floor. It slows down considerable going up a hill and will not downshift. I have replaced the fuel filter, plug wires, plugs, air filter, changed oil and filter, and serviced the trans, accessed the computer and it has a repeating code

12.(ok) I checked fuel pump pressure and I have 35psi at the access fitting at the engine. I have been told it might be a clogged converter. It seems to blow exhaust fine when rev'ed up. The exhaust does not smell (like rotten eggs), but the exhaust appears to be real hot. I have not checked the EGR yet. It seems like it is dragging an anchor. I appreciate any help.
Reply to
ysone

I had something similar happen on my 96, but after dealing with it for a while, it became very loudly apparent what the trouble was. The brakes were sticking. I changed all 4 calipers, and rotors and pad/shoes (I can never remember which is which), and it goes, now. If you let go of the gas pedal, does it slow down very quickly? If you put it in drive and don't push the gas, will you move? These tests are one way to find out. Or you could let the Dealer tell you, for about $80, just to look. I'm cheaper. Good luck, Tedrick

Reply to
TSMANGOD

...Is the Service Engine Light coming on, and how do you know the exhaust is running "real hot"? (just curious) Sounds like a trip to the dealer, eh?

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

No service engine light. The computer shows clear. I used a infared pyrometer and compared to another Saturn it seems to be running 100-150 degrees higher. I drove the car again and it does not slow down fast. On a flat road it takes about a half mile to reach 50mph, and that is all it will do. I jacked up the car and checked the brakes and they are free, non appears to be sticking nor is the car pulling due to sticking calipers. I also checked the compression and all of the cyls are within 5 lbs of factory specs. I am leaning toward a blockage in the exhaust(converter).I am hoping to avoid a trip to the dealer, but if I must, I will. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
ysone

situation.

replaced the

A plugged converter can be dangerous (FIRE). I'd make that the very next check.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

Reply to
Shawn

if it acts up after warming up try the two temp sending units on the side of the head

Reply to
saturn_SL2

Thanks for the help guys, but here's the latest. I changed the converter......same problem. I checked the OBD again. No trouble codes. I have heard that this model has a transmission mounted speed sensor and amplifier that feeds input the the computer, and that if this goes bad it could cause problems. Has anybody ever heard of this? This problem happens hot or cold. I changed the temp sensors in the head....still same problem. Saturn dealership is no help when I call to ask for advice, they would rather have me bring it in and charge me for something that I could probably fix myself. At my wits end!

Reply to
ysone

Im a mechanic @ a Saturn dealer and I have a 95. I had a similar problem when I rebuilt the motor, I swaped out the intake with a newer one because it was cleaner (less work). But infact it was more work, the injectors in a 95 only work with a 95(because of the wiring harness and computer). It has something to do with the resistance in them. Mine wouldnt pickup right away and had some accel prob only in gear, and I tracked it down to the injectors. I put my old 95 injectors on, and wallah it works fine. I cant gurantee that this will work but id give it a shot if you still have ur old

95 injectors laying around! =)
Reply to
mcgheen2