'96 Saturn SL1 sluggish in warm weather?

OK, here's the deal. I own an automatic transmission 1996 Saturn SL1 with 116K miles on it. In the winter, it runs great, on a cold start (although I don't do this) I can floor it and it picks up great. Once summer comes around, the car is incredibly sluggish (no, I don't have the AC on) and when I use my automatic shifter from D to 2 or 3, you can shift the shifter, and nothing actually happens, at any speed I try it at. That makes me wonder if it's a trans problem. In the winter it works fine. In the summer, I can literally floor it and hardly move at all. This has happened all three summers that I have owned it. Anyone have ANY idea of why this is happening? Is this a trans problem?

Reply to
murtman

Try better gas, GM uses a knock control system on that engine that can retard spark a lot and realy kill performance to control knock before you hear it. (octane requirement increase with tempature and increase with age as deposits build up in combustion chamber and increase effective CR ratio. My duaghter has a 97 with 120 K and it runs a lot better on 89 or better in summer months.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Sounds like a complicated issue. In the summer times I had the worst performance with my 97SL2, but that usually involved with stalling, and rough starts. I changed all my wires and plugs, some improvement, the CTS, reall good improvement, but the rough starts were a real problem. I complained to my Saturn dealerships for 3 years before they found the problem, faulty fuel pump. They were so troubled by the fact that my sykmptoms never changed but it took several years to indifey it, they gave me a cost break on the replacement. Since then Summers have been a-ok.

Moral of the story, take it to the dealer and let them check it out. Better than getting caught on the side of the road stalled.

good luck,

tom @

Tom The Great

I would be checking your transmission fluid level and even changing it and the filter to start with.. almost sound like the car is in 3rd gear when it is hot!!

Reply to
p_vouers

I have a 1995 SL1 (140k miles )and had a similar problem last summer. The car would not shift into 4th gear (automatic). I took it to the dealer and they found I had a faulty temperature sensor! Who would have thought that would keep the car from shifting into a higher gear? It might be something you want to check out.

Reply to
Patrick Melberg

I believe you mean the torque converter wouldn't lock up. The engine computer won't allow it to lock up until the engine reaches a certain temperture. I had a similar problem on my 92 SC.

Reply to
Bobbyp

I believe you mean the torque converter wouldn't lock up. The engine computer won't allow it to lock up until the engine reaches a certain temperture. I had a similar problem on my 92 SC.

Reply to
Bobbyp

SEE... I've been preaching everywhere about the darn thing! To the PCM, the WORLD revolves around the temperature sensors!

-WaV

Patrick Melberg wrote:

Reply to
wavy