'96 SL2 will not start cold

It began this fall, started the car it ran rough and I notice the temp gauge jumping from cold to normal operating temp. Disconnected the battery and checked temp and other connections. That stopped the gauge from jumping around but now I have to spray starting fluid a few times before it'll run. I gave it a full tune-up, NGK @ .040, wires, EGR, etc. then had all engine codes cleared. Codes were misfires on #1 & #4 Cyl, knock sensor.. No change, any help would greatly appreciated.

Reply to
JLBrownie

Three ideas you can try:

  1. Clean the throttle body and air intake thoroughly.
  2. Remove the fuel injector connectors and clean them with a good electrical contact cleaner, then reinstall.
  3. Check the fuel line pressure. It could be a clogged filter, fuel pump, or regulator.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Fuel pressure & flow would be the first place to start. If it runs ok after using starting fluid, it generally comes down to a fuel problem. An engine requires more fuel to start than run. James

Reply to
James1549