1996 Saturn SC1 Sohc

Is there a simple (any) way to hold the water pump shaft while removing the bolts that hold the pully ? I am about tocut them off but that may not be easy either! Thanks ernie

Reply to
ernie

Is there a simple (any) way to hold the pump shaft to remove the bolts that bolds the pully? I am about to cut them off but that wont be easy either! Thanks ernie

Reply to
ernie

water pump that is. ernie

Reply to
ernie

"ernie" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

strap wrench.

I've found that an impact on a long extension works well, and doesn't requre the strap.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

I found that cutting half way through got it hot enough to come right out. A pin torch did the next one. I may try the torch on the bolts on the water pump too. This pump looks to have been on the car for all of its 150000 miles. GM could have made this job easy by just putting a hole in the pump housing to fit the one in the pully at no cost. ernie

Reply to
ernie

"ernie" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

how are you going to reuse the bolt you cut through? be careful torching the bolts - they are steel, going into threaded aluminum holes.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

That is good advice, I thought that block was cast iron, I will have to replace the bolt I cut into but they should be easy to find. I will use the smallest torch I have. It does not need much heat to break to bond for steel on steel, I am not sure about aluminum to steel. Thanks ernie

Reply to
ernie

Undo the bolts with the belt stilll on to hold the pulley in place. Those bolts arent that hard to get out when you do this.

Reply to
TheLastDonSC2

I solved the problem by buying an extra long 10mm box end and working from the top to remove the bolts from the water pump. To replace the three bolts in the pully I attached a vicegrip to one bolt head where it would wedge against frame and tightened the other two. The vicegrip has to tb very, very thight to stay on. Thanks ernie

Reply to
ernie

I solved the problem by buying an extra long 10mm boxend and worked from the top to remove the bolts in the water pump.( no heat) To replace the bolts in the pulley I used a vicegrip on the head of one bolt where the vicegrip would wedge against the frame and tighten the other two from the top. Thanks ernie

Reply to
ernie