98 SL2 Shift Problem

The Auto Transmission in my 98 SL2 wont come out of Park on startup when it is cold. It has done it for some time and is not much of a
problem in summer. It does it when temp gets below about 40 degrees. You let it warm up with heater on and It can take up to 10 min. to release. Any Ideas or trouble shooting tips you can pass along?

Is the shifter physically jammed or will it move into gear(but the trans doesn't actually engage)??
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comNHRA (BANDIT2941) wrote in message

Shift Interlock soleniod would not let shifter out of park until it warmed up. I think I fixed problem by disconecting solenoid. Does solenoid have any other function other than safety back-up to engaging xmsn with foot off brake pedal? If not, I think I can do without it.
No, that's all it does is block the shifter until the brake pedal is pressed. Likely the solenoid is sticking or something. You could just leave it unplugged if you wish, assuming you don't have kids likely to play with the shifter when the car's parked with the engine running :-)
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
so how do you unplug that thing? the same thing is happening to my 95 Saturn SC2.

It probably just doesn't let you take it out of gear without the brake on as you said, and it probably acts like the neutral safety switch - with it disconnected, you will probably now be able to start the car while in gear.
The only purpose for this solenoid is to prevent driver to shift transmission from park to any gear if brake not applied. You wont be able to start the car if not in neutral or park
WRONG> with it disconnected, you will probably now be able to start the car while in gear. ???? there is a switch who prevent that

as
gear.