Shifting problem 98 SL2

My 98 SL2 seems to have trouble down-shifting, or at least it has trouble deciding to down-shift.

When I go up a good sized hill the car boggs down and I give it more throttle to maintain speed. I end up going all the way to the floor before the transmission will do anything and the car violently shifts down 2 or 3 gears.

I have been to the retailer a couple of times for this. They had no answer the first time. The second time I went in they basically told me that the car needed to driven harder (which can't be the case) because of being "carboned-up". It apparantly wasn't giving any codes for whatever is going wrong.

Is there a possibility that there is no tranny problem and it's more a throttle position sensor issue? or maybe another transmission control part?

Any advice would be great.

-- Thanks. Jake

Reply to
Jake

You can try cleaning out the throttle body, the stuff comes in a can, and spray into the throttle, while revving the engine.

Reply to
Kelly

control part?

There have been posts here referencing valve body problems. You might try some Google Group searches and/or contacting Joey at snipped-for-privacy@6thplanetusedparts.com . My long-distance guess is that the problem might be more in this direction than in the engine.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart