99 SL SOHC 5 speed Pinging when warm

My SL is fine when it is cold, but when it is warm it pings almost constantly, especially in higher RPMs. The previous owner changed the thermostat to a lower setting 170, I think. I also did not have any (less than piss warm) heat over the winter. I was wondering if these 2 problems are related. I do not have any service engine lights on.

Thanks Wayne

Reply to
WayneF

oil viscosity and gas quality? thats my guess.

Reply to
marx404

You might check the coolant temperature sensor.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Please oh please cite your source for this.

To go down at all is a bandage fix. Something a bubba like you should be familure with.

Cooling fan sensor? Never heard of it.

Set what so low? What the F#@K are you blabbing about?

Yeah the heater was designed for high temp coolants...

Why is a guy who has NO background in automotive service and repair giving advice here?

Here are the things Wayne should actually be looking for:

--Low coolant

--Loose drive belt

--Restricted air flow through radiator, or restricted air flow through condenser (if A/C equipped)

--Proper cooling fan operation (IIRC the cooling fan for the S-series should come one around 215-230 deg if the ECT sensor is working correctly)

--Front air dam missing or damaged

--Knock Sensor Circuit System

--EGR (becomes clogged)

--Poor quality fuel (no you should not goto a higher octane fuel. It is another bandage fix.)

(Stick with bicycles Steve. You're way out of your league.)

Reply to
-Cronus-

One more thing you might try is decarbonizing but go through the other things first.

Reply to
-Cronus-

Reply to
-Cronus-

Thanks for everyone's help. The car does almost have 150,000 miles. Every hear of seafoam and will it be a fix or make things worse. I didn't have any problems since it was a cooler temp outside. I don't get it! BTW The cooling fan comes on when I turn on the A/C.

Reply to
WayneF

I would use GM's Top Engine Clearer myself. I think I posted a walkthrough for it here in the past. Look in google groups archives. Saturnfans has a few walkthroughs and discussions for seafoam IIRC.

If I were you I might start by installing a brass ECT sensor, if it has a plastic tipped ECT sensor, and then remove and clean the EGR and passages. If it looks bad then the engine should probably be decarbonized. (also be sure you have an air damn and an unobstructed radiator...)

Reply to
-Cronus-

Ummmm.... no, it can't.

Pinging occurs when the fuel/air mixture is detonated too early. You wanna explain how low temperatures can cause premature detonation?

Reply to
Doug Miller

In article , snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com Dares to question Scharf with...

(8 hours and many Scharf post later...) Well hows it feel to be on Scharfs kill-filter Doug?

Reply to
-Cronus-

Like I said... you wanna explain that?

No, it's nonsense.

Of course. But having it too low will *not* cause predetonation.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It took him about "24" hours to respond, nearly "5" hours after his last post here, but he finally found something to use as an excuse.

He copy-pasted an excerpt from this

02-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah who needs training, ASE certs, and facts when you can just regurgitate a forum posting...
Reply to
-Cronus-