1991 toyota corolla running cool and pinging when warm

hi i got a 91 corolla with 2 problems.The first is it takes forever to get any heat the guage will usually go up quater way after 45 min to an hour of driving.I replaced the thermostat.Actually the entire cooling system is less than a year old new rad,head gasket etc.The other problem is when it does eventually warm up it pings bad.Im guessing this is timing but the car is great on fuel and lots of power.I hope i explained this right any help greatly appreciated

Reply to
ronroland

When an engine takes a long time to warm up, the problem is usually thermostat-related. Either the thermostat is stuck open, installed incorrectly, or is the incorrect opening temperature. The chances that the problem is related to the thermostat go up if the thermostat is not the Toyota brand. [Ask Hachiroku about aftermarket thermostats ;-) ]

Pinging can be caused by incorrect ignition timing, EGR, bad fuel, & carbon deposits. I'd start by checking the ignition timing.

Reply to
Ray O

Is the new thermostat the correct one in terms of opening temp? Second problem is likely advanced timing.

Reply to
NickySantoro

sorry forgot to mention that yes it was a dealer thermostat i learned my lesson long ago using aftermarket thermostats.Its 190degree thermostat the one i took out was stuck open a bit so it made sence to run cool maybe i,ll take it back and try another and timing sounds about right for the ping i doubt this little car got any carbon in it as i run it hard on the highway daily.thanks for your help

"Ray O" wrote: >

Reply to
ronroland

Oooooh.... (Rubbing right cheek...) ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

im guessing its the right temp its what the dealer gave me when i asked.its 190 degree

"ronroland" wrote: > sorry forgot to mention that yes it was a dealer thermostat i > learned my lesson long ago using aftermarket thermostats.Its > 190degree thermostat the one i took out was stuck open a bit > so it made sence to run cool maybe i,ll take it back and try > another and timing sounds about right for the ping i doubt > this little car got any carbon in it as i run it hard on the > highway daily.thanks for your help

Reply to
ronroland

weird but im gonna try another thermostat oh well at least its not as bad as my other car

"Hachiroku_+O+A+m+/" wrote: > On Thu, 04 Jan 2007

Reply to
ronroland

When you install the thermostat, make sure you have the correct opening temperature, that the spring is oriented correctly (towards the block), and that the flange on the thermostat is centered in the opening and no coolant can get past the edges.

Reply to
Ray O

A 190 degree thermostat sounds about right. You can confirm a thermostat's opening temperature by putting it in a pot of water with a thermometer on a stove. Turn on the heat and confirm that the thermostat opens at the correct temperature.

Make sure that the spring is oriented towards the block.

Reply to
Ray O

How does it install? I have a Mazda that I replaced the t-stat on and it kicked my butt!

On my Toyotas they lay flat...put the thing in and put the housing on and bolt it. On the Mazda, it is Vertical. The T-Stat didn't grab the lip machined into the housing and slipped. I had to re-open it, and HOLD the t-stat in place while I put the housing back on.

Check this first, and also check you have the coolant mixed properly. Did you 'flush' it when you replaced the t-stat?

Reply to
Hachiroku

on my toyota its easy to install had no probs there i mixed the coolant 60/40 as i usually do and as for flow theres lots of flow i ran it a day without a thermostat and circulation was great im thinking it just may be a dud thermostat just becouse its new doesnt mean its not faulty

"Hachiroku_$B%O%A%m%/(B" wrote: > On Fri, 05 Jan 2007

04:25:22 +0000, ronroland wrote: > > > > > weird but im gonna try another thermostat oh well at least > its not as bad > > as my other car > > > How does it install? I have a Mazda that I replaced the t-stat > on and it > kicked my butt! > > On my Toyotas they lay flat...put the thing in and put the > housing on and > bolt it. On the Mazda, it is Vertical. The T-Stat didn't grab > the lip > machined into the housing and slipped. I had to re-open it, > and HOLD the > t-stat in place while I put the housing back on. > > Check this first, and also check you have the coolant mixed > properly. Did > you 'flush' it when you replaced the t-stat?
Reply to
ronroland

The most effective coolant mix is 50/50. When you remove the thermostat, take a look and see if it is open.

Reply to
Ray O