adjusting trunk latch and lid

After our "techs" failed to fix the problem with my trunk lid hitting and cutting into the upper bumper of my '07 ION, I took matters into my own
hands and tried adjusting the lower trunk latch. It was surprisingly easy, only 2 bolts and viola! no more trunk smashing into my bumper. I did notice that the lower hook of the latch also can be used to align the trunk . I eyeballed it pretty good, but does anyone have any tips to properly adjusting the trunk lid as straight as possible?
--
marx404

Very basic question is what moved? Was the bumper out of alignment and sitting too high or was the trunk latch too low? Make sure that you still get a good seal on the trunk gasketing - you do not want exhaust gasses seeping back into the passenger compartment. (hey, I'd miss you)

Thanks Oppie, I've inhaled more than my share of exhaust fumes ..
After studying other IONs I noticed that no two trunks are aligned alike. After a suggestion on SaturnFans that it was the latch, I gave it a try and found that by adjusting the lower catch up just a 1/16" the trunk still had no play up or down, ergo the seals must be sealed, right? and the trunk no longer hit on the top of the bumper.
--
marx404

Follow-up, after two power car washes and severe thunderstorms, she is air-tight and dry as a bone in the trunk. yay.
--
marx404