Retrofit NHW11: backup camera, GPS and bluetooth

Starting in 2012, backup cameras will become a standard option on new cars to comply with the http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/08/03/earlyshow/main633815.shtml
Cameron Gulbransen Kids and Cars Safety Act This safety legislation is something I support as I have had several backup car body scrapes. The worst was when I backed into a pole:
http://hiwaay.net/%7Ebzwilson/prius/pri_bump_010.jpg
Cars and stuff can be fixed but what if it had been someone, a kid too small to see, a family pet, or as statistics indicate likely, my wife?
I've tried several experiments to improve my rear view but they have only been slightly successful:
http://hiwaay.net/%7Ebzwilson/prius/pri_mirror_010.jpg
In this case, the convex mirrors provide more blind-spot coverage but nothing behind and below the trunk of our 2003 Prius.
I hired my local, independent shop to buy and install a combination rear view mirror, backup camera, GPS and bluetooth unit. The shop selected: http://www.ampleaudio.com/mirrornav.html EXM 430RMG This part has a mirror and a 4.2" LCD screen. At $549 to me, this was higher than similar units available over the net. Still this was his first order but when I picked up my Prius, he had another car with a similar order, his second job. So there were lessons learned by all.
The first problem was the mounting assumed a 1 inch square post could be glued to the inside of the windshield . . . WRONG! The technician tried to hold the post and get me to adjust the mirror and it came right off. I told him I never wanted the original mirror in my car again so I proposed we take the ball mount off the original mirror and fit it to the new mirror/screen system.
With a screwdriver and some effort including breaking the mirror out, we got the ball mechanism and with a bit of trimming, the ball socket could be attached. However, we needed some longer, smaller machine screws so I went to Lowe's and at the same time, I picked up a 1/4", fine grained plywood square. Over the weekend, the technician figured out the fixture and now the new mirror/screen uses the original mount.
This particular unit has an especially lame "User Manual" and no warranty card or support contact information. Eventually, I was able to find the likely USA vendor and sent an email asking about warranty and support. So far, no answer.
The bluetooth synced with our cell phone without any problem. The voice quality is good and the only draw back is having to enter the phone number on the screen. So I have to reach up to the touch screen, almost as if I'm adjusting it. Otherwise, it is hands free.
The backup camera works well but there was nothing to adjust the pitch. As installed in the trunk lid, I need to fabricate a semi- circular shim to pitch it down a little more so I can see objects closer to the bumper. Still the the daylight images are clear and it works fine at night using the backup and stop lights. Sad to say, during the day running the software, the screen can be somewhat washed out. However, it is usable, at least for now. I do not know how well it will be in a year or more from now. Also, the new mirror/screen is larger than the OE mirror so there can be some interference with the visors. But it is still easy enough to position them to block the sun.
This unit uses Route66, GPS software, ROUTE66N7.exe, under some sort of windows derived software. Different than the Garmin nuvi, it appears I can get software and map updates from the Route66 web site although I may have to buy it from them. The software and map is on an SD card. Still, it is a pleasure to see the GPS velocity on the display as I'm running oversized, tires that make it is easy to drive faster than desired.
http://hiwaay.net/%7Ebzwilson/prius/backup_010.jpg
Here the GPS software is running and even later, after increasing the LCD contrast, it still seems washed out in daylight. Also a better installation would hide the wires so I may yet go back and rework that part.
Untested: [LIST] [*]bluetooth connection to iPad - to play audio [*]second composite video - a laptop display of OBD data? [*]playing other media (of course you have to be in the car to enjoy it) [/LIST]
I probably paid more for the unit than necessary. Worse, the warranty and support options are 'do it yourself'. However, I've already paid a $500 deductible from one backing accident. Best of all, I can now see the area directly behind the car, an area previously blind.
Bob Wilson

That's a nice integrated unit.
When you get to use the GPS unit more - I'd like know how well it works and the quality of the directions it provides..
. . .

The GPS works OK but when I started working on making a backup SD card, I've run into a few problems. Saving the software on the original, 2GB SD disk was easy but the backup has turned into something ugly.
I first bought an 8GB SD card but could not get it to mount on Windows XP Professional, Debian Linux, or Mac OS X. I have a Toshiba tablet with a built-in SD reader and it wouldn't mount it. Ok, weird, so I picked up a pair of 4GB SD cards, SanDisk ... same thing! They don't show any evidence of the old U3 crap.
Tomorrow I'll go back to BestBuy and see if they can format either the 8GB or 4GB SD cards into anything my Mac can recognize. I did sent a help request to SanDisk but I'm probably looking at several days before a response. This is very disappointing.
I have an offline backup of the 2GB SD card but Google is finding a lot hits about the "ROUTE66N7" that makes it sound like a Chinese hacked version. Someone figured out how to pirate the software in this and a boatload of cheap, GPS knockoffs.
The GPS still works but I don't have a good, backup SD card, yet. Worse, it isn't clear I'll be able to buy a working, modern version of Route 66 software. I wish this wasn't the case but this sure looks to be the case.
Bob Wilson

Route 66 GPS software is not designed to work with a desktop computer. The website info seems to suggest that its designed for mobile smartphone platforms....Have you tried contacting ROUTE 66 Customer Support at..
e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@66.com
telephone (Boston/MA): +1-8573621624 (Monday-Friday: 07:30-16:30 CET)
Skype: route66support (download www.skype.com)

btw:
if what you have is Route 66's Navigate 7 GPS software then your memory card must be formatted using FAT/FAT16... [1] IRCC FAT16 is limited 2GB or 4GB cant recall.
[1] Route 66 Navigate 7 GPS software manual, page 69 http://www.66.com/static_media/manuals/Navigate%207/ROUTE%2066%20Navigate%207%20User%20Manual_en.pdf

There is no such thing as an 8GB (or 4, 16,32, etc) SD card, they are all SDHC cards.
SDHC is FAT32 formatted, SD is FAT16. Since FAT16 has a 2GB partition size limit and you can't have multiple partitions on an SD card even if you did manage to format a 4GB or higher card as FAT16 it would still only use 2GB of the card.
Beyond the format type there are other odd limits too, a friend has a laptop that will read a 1GB but not a 2GB and I know of an old HP digital camera that corrupts the pictures if higher than a 256MB card is used.