Another Saturn?

Will you get anothr Saturn?,I reall dont think so,but,what else is out there?,Just got my monthly pay statement & i'm just over 6K to go!,the time to decide will be around sooner than i thought.

Reply to
teem

When I'm ready to buy, I'll check the latest annual reliability report in _Consumer's Reports_ and shop for what appear to be the best value. Since I don't feel the need for great performance, I'll be looking at the low-end compact market. This is how I wound up with my last two cars -- '94 Saturn SL and '99 Saturn SL. YMMV. Good hunting!

Reply to
Steve

No. For a few reasons...

I was very happy with my 96 SL2. That baby took 100k miles like a champ. It died when it fought a tool truck, and won. Won meaning it threw the truck into a roll and into a ditch. The insurance company totaled our car, but Wifey was unscratched. Amen for 96 SL2. Saturn got rid of the SL's so not interesed in the IONs.

Now my 97SL2, too many mysterious 'problems' that they couldn't find for years. I only recently had my fuel pump replaced, and it seems all the problems magicly went away. After 6 years of intermittant stalling, and rough starts (car only has 70k miles). When the experts(three different dealers couldn't find it till the pump actually clearly failed). So was a sour experience. So Saturn got a black mark from this.

Saturns are not in the top 10 for "American Made" Cars. Infact Toyota holds two positions on some of their models, but Saturn doesn't have one. A google search for "most american car" gives you the list I am talking about, or check here:

Last, Consumer Reports reviews of any saturn model kinda 'sux'. I haven't seen any saturns make it to their 'recommended' cars.

Damn, I miss my 96SL2. I've become so sad about Saturn since. :(

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great

I really like the 4 cyl Vue's (and upcoming sky) but there really isnt anything else under the Saturn nameplate now that I care for. Actually there isnt much under any name plate that I like. You might take a look at an Ecotec powered Malibu. In my mind its probably the closest you can get to what a modern day S-series would have been.

Reply to
BläBlä

Anything with an ecotec engine will be fair game for me. I am still awaiting to see the new Aura sedan and eventually the upcoming replacements for the ION and VUE.

Now that I have had a few weeks to closely look at the Chevrolet line-up, there are many admirable diffrences, however, as far as American made vehicles, I have yet to find anything that compares to the safety of Saturns.

Hopefully as Saturn integrates with GM, the same considerations of safety and gas mileage wil be maintained within the new designs. Only time will tell.

marx404 happy saturn owner.

Reply to
marx404

I'm on my third Saturn SL and it has just passed 150,000KM. When it goes over 240,000KM, I have to look around for a replacement again. That'll be in another 2 years.

The SLs has been great for me. Virtually no maintenance other than oil changes, spark plug changes, coolant changes and brake changes. All regular maintenance. I also got into a head on collision with an Accord several years ago. The combined speed was 90 - 100KM/h and both cars were totalled. I walked away with a bruised shoulder (seat belt). The Accod driver had cuts to his knees.

If Saturned still makes the SL, I will get one without a second thought. Unfortunately, they don't anymore. I've looked at the Ion. There's less driver foot room, and it gets worse mileage (the SL currently gets just under 50MPG imperial). But the polymer body panels is a major bonus. So I'll see what happens in 2 years. If there are no better choice, it'll be the Ion.

I read lots of car reports. Saturn ranks low in all of them. But that's OK. Because the car is fine for me. And that's what counts. I don't live my life by someone else's opinion. I just use their opinion as a reference.

Reply to
Joe Blow

No, it won't be a choice in 2 years - 2006 is the last year for the Ion, and the last year for the polymer panels.

John Cowart

Reply to
bo peep

I tried keeping my old Ford Contour as long as possble,I think 7 years is longer than average,but when sensors start malfunctioning & I have to pay for it,well,that's wrong.I'm hoping this Ion will stay the course,i'm used to it now ,but would rather have a larger vehicle.

Reply to
teem

I HAVE A 93 SL1 5SPD,1.9 SOHC W/ 252000+ MILES IT USES ABOUT 1/2 QT OF OIL EVERY 3K MILES WHEN AND IF IT DIES I WILL GET ANOTHER SATURN!

Reply to
itsa93sl1

Nice cap locks. Before you jump into a new saturn, just remember they don't even make SL's anymore. So the Good track record they developed, they tossed out to start new again.

Check car reviews. Look before you jump. ;)

later,

tom @

Tom The Great