Anyone know more about factory mp3 players?

I read that the 2004 VUE and possibly other saturns and GM vehicles would have mp3 cd players as optional equipment. I googled a bit and saw some other quick blurbs, but of course, no pictures. I'm wondering if these will be barebones mp3 cd players that show file numbers as track numbers or maybe if they display file names or ID3 tags.

I currently have an aftermarket kenwood mp3 cd player in my 1993 SC2 and I love it. I had to replace all the speakers to make it sound decent, though.

Reply to
anonymous user

To My knowledge There are no plans to have a factory MP3 players in Saturns. XMRadio yes, M3 no.

I'm not sure GM wants to touch that. I can just see all the nasty letters comming from the RIAA to GM.

The Saturn Parts Guy

Reply to
P Lynch

'04 IONs and VUEs have a cd/mp3 player available.

Reply to
Hutch001b

Sorry make that cd/mp3/xm with either single cd or 6 disc.

Reply to
Hutch001b

...that's pretty slick - go Saturn!

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Wonder of they'll be similar enough that they can be retrofit into an 03. Anyone know?

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

...you know the first couple of years after getting my 97 I kept getting generous offers from Saturn to trade mine in for a newer model - don't know if it's like that anymore, nor would you want to trade your new ION because the new models have more features, but... if the payment was the same (and the rest of the math was okay) it might be an idea to entertain. ...also read the weird center-feel of the steering has been addressed in the '04's too.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Oh, I just found this today:

its a picture of a 2004 VUE factory 6 disk changer at the NY autoshow

Reply to
anonymous user

OK.

Anyone know if I can remove my '03 changer and pop a new '04 changer in there?

I WANT ONE! DROOL! DROOL!

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

The '04 uplevel radios are on the serial data link. I don't know if they will be able to be made backward compatible.

Reply to
Hutch001b

I had the chance tonight to play with the mp3 stereo in an 04 quad coupe. I was asking about the red line and the mp3 stereos. The sales guy was very nice and let me play one of my mp3 cds. I think he was mostly curious to see what I wanted to do. He didn't know much about mp3s and kept asking me questions.

What I really wanted to find out was if the stereo showed ID3 tags. The short answer is yes, at least if its one of the XM capable radios. I could only play with the single disk XM unit and the sales guy seemed to think that only the XM units were able to show alpha text.

I couldn't figure out if there was a way to keep the tag display up all the time, though. It would show the song number and the clock and the time within the track be default. If I pressed the rocker button labled "i" , the song title would flash up, then the artist, then the file name and the directory name, then back to the default display.

It's not as nice as the scrolling text on my Kenwood unit. I think it's common now for aftermarket mp3 players to have scrolling ID3 displays.

Reply to
anonymous user

...I just bought a $60 portable discman (Panasonic SL-MP80) that scrolls ID tags and plays MP3 Pro. Very cool I thought...

Reply to
Jonnie Santos