Bad Sensor?

My "Get Engine Serviced Soon" light has been coming on intermittently since March, and started when it was raining quite a bit. The car is a

1998 4-door SL with 1.92L engine, and about 60K miles. The light would generally go off after the wet had evaporated from the system, and only came on during torrential downpours. When I went in for my emissions inspection I noticed that not only was the light on again in dry/warm weather, but as I idled the temp and tach would fluctuate rapidly, though not quite in synch. The temp would go from about mid-level all the way down to zero and back up in the space of a few seconds. I failed the emissions test based on the following OBD trouble codes:

P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance P0125 Insufficient Collant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control

Driving to the DMV to get an extension on my registration the engine started racing at a stop light, until I punched the gas a few times. The RPMs just ramped up suddently and threatened to go off the scale. I checked the fluid levels and topped off the coolant and oil. Light is still on.

My question: Could this all be caused by a bad sensor, or is something more significant going on? Might the timing chain need to be replaced? Would a tune-up fix things? Some other electrical problem?

Is this a typical pattern, in other words, for a blown sensor?

Reply to
Osgood Z'beard

Sounds like two sensors: coolant temp and crank position sensor.

Typicall crank position sensor failures will not lead to the revving you report but to the engine just stalling. That may be a fluke. I'd do the coolant sensors (1 or 2 on a 98?) for sure. Oughta help out your gas mileage too (especially as it seems that your car is often believing that it has a cold engine when it doesn't).

Tim.

Reply to
shoppa

Replace coolant sensor. Original may be plastic, the new one should be brass. If you're due for new coolant, have it done.

Inspect your ignition wires and plugs for the source of the P0341 code.

Reply to
blah blah

Thanks guys. Is replacement of the coolant sensor something that I can do myself without a shop full of tools, or should I just have my local mechanic do it? Or the Saturn dealer?

O.G.

Reply to
Osgood Z'beard