How to read diagnostic codes

I have a 2000 Impreza Outback Sport. I don't have all the service manuals because there were too many and too expensive! My check engine light just went on. Can the code be read without a reader like some other cars? And, if so, is there a web site I can go to to get the description of the trouble code?

Thanks. Rich

Reply to
Rich

Edward Hayes

Here is the DTC trouble code portion of the manual for the 2004 Impreza. I have no idea how much may be different from 2000 model year. It was a PDF file and since this newsgroup will not allow binaries (I don't think) I'll try to just paste in the text. It will loose its formatting, but the info is there. I also have the much larger section which details troubleshooting steps for each code if you determine which code it is.

LIST OF DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC)

EN(H4SO)-72 ENGINE (DIAGNOSTICS) LIST OF DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC)

18.List of Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) A: LIST DTC Item Index

P0030 HO2S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P0031 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P0032 HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P0037 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

P0038 HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

P0065 Air Assisted Injector Control Range/ Performance

P0066 Air Assisted Injector Control Circuit or Circuit Low

P0067 Air Assisted Injector Control Circuit High

P0068 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem

P0107 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Low Input

P0108 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input

P0111 Intake Air Temperature Circuit Range/Performance

P0112 Intake Air Temperature Circuit Low Input

P0113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input

P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input

P0121 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/ Switch "A" Circuit Range/Performance

P0122 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/ Switch "A" Circuit Low Input

P0123 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/ Switch "A" Circuit High Input

P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control

P0128 Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)

P0129 Atmospheric Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

P0130 O2 Sensor Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P0131 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank

1 Sensor 1)

P0132 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P0133 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P0134 O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P0137 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank

1 Sensor 2)

P0138 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

P0139 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

DTC P0171 - SYSTEM TOO LEAN (BANK 1) -, Diagnostic Procedure with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC).>

P0172 System too Rich (Bank 1) P0181 Fuel Temperature Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance

P0182 Fuel Temperature Sensor "A" Circuit Low Input

P0183 Fuel Temperature Sensor "A" Circuit High Input

P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected I have a 2000 Impreza Outback Sport. I don't have all the service

Reply to
Craig

Thanks for the list of codes. My question is how to get the codes. I have a Honda and Nissan where I can get the codes directly from a light on the computer or count the flashes on the "check engine" light after following a specific series of steps..I don't have the Subaru manual to give me this info.

Thanks, Rich

Craig wrote:

Reply to
Rich

Try autozone, they would read the code for free.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Li