camshaft positon sensor A bank 1

hey everybody anyway my problem was my saturn sl1 1996 the engine light keep on and of.ok last year my inspection past on that new obdII inspection when they put your car in the computer.now its time for me to get one.my problem was my engine light is on so i know it wont past the inspection i went to auto zone let them put it on this tiny look like ipod computer.they said i need a oxygen sensor i did that. light still keep on i went they erase it they told me to drive 60 mile before go get inspected.30 miles it came on they check. they i need crankshaft sensor i did that that guy put it in told me to drive 40 miles i did it for 80 miles as soon as i go to inspection lights come on again. the guy erase my code he told me to drive again. again. for 40 i came back the light was not on but still did not past because i got this code p0341 camshaft position sensor A bank1 im trying to buy 1 nobody here in auto store got it they tod me i need to order it on dealer. anyway this is my first time in here i read few letter from couple people. is that that true there is no camshaft position sensor? please helpme dont know what to do.

Reply to
vita

iits me again i read one of the answer bout the wires need to be routed in order for my camshaft position sensor to work i put new wires & sparksplug do i need to put my old wires back . just wonderring. coz when i read this letetter this guy said . there is no camshaft position sensor per se. with the way the saturn ignition system works. it doesnt really need to know where the cam is in order for the engine to work. but on later models with the obdII system(96+) the computer diciphers where the cam is using the spark plug wires. in order for that to work the wires have to be routed like the factory (crossed near coil)if the wires are not routed right it will throw a cam sensor code. IS THIS TRUE>>>>> i still have my old spark plugs do i need to put it back . please help me i really need this car to past inspection I HAVE 3KIDS to take to school..... thanks for reading.....

Reply to
vita

Its called COMPRESSION SENSE TIMING. The cam sensor code is Generic because there is no Compression sense timing code for OBDII systems that I have seen yet.

If you are in need of a TUNE UP you will throw a cam sensor code meaning you likely need both new Plugs and Wires. The plugs should be double platinum for "waste spark" systems such as this. Avoid Bosch spark plugs, get AC Delco or Autolite. You may want a gap of .040" instead of the .060" which it may call for. Spark Plug wires MUST be checked with an OHM meter & they should not exceed 20k ohms. (Lower the resistance the better.) Plug wires should not be pulled or tugged by any means other than at the plug boot. If you think you may have damaged them the resistance should be checked again. They should also be routed to avoid chafing as much as possible.

The Coil pack and engine run parallel to eachother so as you look at your engine you will see cylinder 1 at the passenger side and cylinder 4 on the driver/transmission side. (Engine 1,2,3,4)

The coil pack, starting from the passenger side is coil tower for # 4 cylinder. Then you have 1,2,&3. (Coil 4,1,2,3)

Now just connect the numbers.

The O2 sensor, in this case, was the "symtom" not the "problem" of a poor running engine. Hence why you dont get advice from Autozone, just codes.

Reply to
BläBlä

Yeah, but the Saturn will not run correctly if its input information is "oft". Its a very dynamic control system. I know this from direct experience with a bad coolant temperature sensor. The engine ran too rich to pass the emissions test. Changed the sensor - "PAST" the test.

-DC

Yes, I'm totally hooked > The O2 sensor, in this case, was the "symtom" not the "problem" of a

Reply to
wavy