Camshaft Position Sensor

My 97 SL2 "Serv. Eng. Soon" light is on. Two error codes are indicating bad O2 (bank 2, sensor 1) and camshaft position sensor. What do Saturn dealers charge to replace these? Is it difficult to DYI?

Thanks,

Reply to
Joe

Well, there is no camshaft position sensor per se. With the way the Saturn's ignition system works, it doesn't really need to know where the cam is in order for the engine to work. But, on later models with the OBDII system(96+) the computer deciphers where the cam is using the spark plug wires. In order for that to work, the wires have to be routed like they were from the factory(crossed near the coil). If the wires aren't routed right, it will throw a cam sensor code. Do a search in google groups for camshaft position sensor as this has been discussed before.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Neither is a difficult diy.

O2 sensor is right in front. The camshaft position sensor is up behind the starter - you have to put the car on jack stands to get to it.

Good luck!

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

What are the actual codes? It shouldn't be "bank 2 sensor 1" for the O2 sensor as there is no bank 2 on this engine, and there's no cam position sensor - a P0341 indicates a problem with the compression-sense ignition system, such as high plug wire resistance, voltage leakage, etc.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Is that a camshaft position sensor or a crankshaft position sensor? I was and am under the impression that Saturns use a crankshaft position sensor.

Stan

{Delete nospam for email}

Reply to
ssody

Its a crank sensor near the starter. Like I said before, there is no 'real' cam sensor. I think Kirk read through it real fast and was thinking crank sensor when he read it.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

I believe sometimes that is thrown as a cam sensor code, as the computer uses the compression-sense ignition as a cam sensor; it can tell which cylinder is firing from the spark plug wires, therefore it can tell where the cam is.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

I had the diagnostic done at Autozone and that person reported what I originally posted. Good points about it being crank or cam shaft sensor and also the O2 sensor code. I'll go back and have it read again. Saturn wants $89 just to plug in the diagnostic!

Reply to
Joe

If you're interested in having them do the work (the dealer), ask if they'll roll the cost of the diag into the repair. It's a thought...

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Indeed, I did and was.

Look on Magnecore's (spelling?) web site - they have a good app note regarding Saturn's wiring for determining the camshaft position.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

I just had the diagnostic run because my "Check Engine Soon" light is steadily on. The Technician showed me the code (P0341) and it read "Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 CKT Range/Perf." I have a 1997 Saturn SW2. If I understand the previous posts, Saturns actually don't have a Camshaft Position Sensor?

Reply to
Heidi

I just had the diagnostic run because my "Check Engine Soon" light is steadily on. The Technician showed me the code (P0341) and it read "Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 CKT Range/Perf." I have a 1997 Saturn SW2. If I understand the previous posts, Saturns actually don't have a Camshaft Position Sensor?

Reply to
Heidi

I just had the diagnostic run because my "Check Engine Soon" light is steadily on. The Technician showed me the code (P0341) and it read "Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 CKT Range/Perf." I have a 1997 Saturn SW2. If I understand the previous posts, Saturns actually don't have a Camshaft Position Sensor?

Reply to
Heidi

I believe that the engines with a distributor-less ignition all use a crank and cam position sensors which give info to the ECU. Still trying to figure out the way my '01 3Liter works but it has no distributor. Rather it has a coil per plug that sits atop the plug in a recess in the cylinder head.

Oppie

steadily on. The Technician showed me the code (P0341) and it read "Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 CKT Range/Perf." I have a 1997 Saturn SW2. If I understand the previous posts, Saturns actually don't have a Camshaft Position Sensor?

Reply to
Oppie

Short Answer: Make SURE that you are routing sparkplug wires for cylinders

1 and 4 correctly.

Long answer: Just in case you're confusing crankshaft position sensor with camshaft position sensor:

Alldatadiy.com has listed, for a 97 SL2:

Crankshaft Position Sensor 21020140 $19.57

Alldatadiy.com is a pay service, but it has the best information that I've found for Saturns. About $15 per year (after $25 for the first year).

And, no, I don't work for them.

As for the camshaft position:

The Saturn uses a capacitive sensor in the ignition module to figure out which spark plug (of cylinder 1 and 4, which are on the same coil) is in a compressed air - fuel mixture. This lets the computer know where the camshaft is.

In order for this sensor to function correctly, the sparkplug wires for cylinders 1 and 4 have to be routed especially correctly.

states:

WIRE ROUTING

Also, it is important to route spark plug wires as close as possible to the way the original factory were fitted. In particular, wires for cylinders 1 and 4 should be routed exactly like the factory wires, as the engine management system on 1996 and later Saturn engines relies on the proximity of these 2 wires to function correctly.

Please call your dealer, or Magnecor, if you have any questions.

In addition, information that I got from

(Great Service - Worth the $25/year first year, $15/year thereafter!)

1.Set gap on spark plugs to 1.51 mm (0.040 in). 2.Install spark plugs. - Torque: 27 N.m (20 ft-lbs) 3.Inspect spark plug wires. Replace any wire that is worn or chaffed. NOTE: If boot is torn or ripped a new wire must be installed. Do not repair leads from which the terminals have been pulled off. Replace the lead. 4.Install spark plug wires. Press boots onto spark plugs until click is heard or felt. NOTE: Install the spark plug wires on the correct spark plugs as indicated on each spark plug wire. Assure routing of wire on engine is away from moving parts and exhaust. NOTE: Orientation of the wires to the EIS module is critical to the operation of both the module and on-board diagnostics. The orientation is 4 1 2 3 respectively from left to right.

steadily on. The Technician showed me the code (P0341) and it read "Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 CKT Range/Perf." I have a 1997 Saturn SW2. If I understand the previous posts, Saturns actually don't have a Camshaft Position Sensor?

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

Correct. The computer uses data from the crankshaft position sensor as well as from the spark plug wires. I'm not totally sure how it does it, but I know that the plug wires need to be routed as they were from the factory or else you will get the code you got.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

These engines use a compression-sense ignition system, where the ignition module generates a cam position signal based on which of the cylinders in the #1/#4 pair is detected to be on the compression stroke (its firing voltage will be higher). If you have, for example, bad plug wires causing voltage leakage, this can cause problems with the system.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

I can't remember, does the S-Series use the wasted spark (fires cyl's 2/3 simultaneously) system?

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

My '96 SL-1 gave the same error. After replacing the plugs and plug wires (just because they were old), the error code never reappeared. Buster

Reply to
Buster

Yes, they all use the waste spark system. Thats why they don't even really need a cam sensor. If they didn't have waste spark, it would have to know where the cam is(to dictate where top dead center on the firing stroke is) but since its the waste spark system, it just fires the plug every time the piston is at top dead center. So once its firing, next its exhaust, ignition system doesn't know the difference, it fires all the time. They boast this as a feature, but its really just an easier thing to do.

Reply to
BANDIT2941