Driving without EGR valve hooked up

I have a 1992 Saturn SL2 and I just put in an order for an EGR valve but it won't be in until next Wednesday. The old valve is stuck open and does not create enough vacuum to keep the car running while I put it into gear. It drives fine when I disconnect and plug the vacuum hose running from the solenoid to the valve, but my question is if driving without the EGR valve will negatively effect (ruin) any other systems in my car? What does the valve do besides reduce emissions?

Reply to
the_brewmaster

Admittedly I haven't looked at an egr valve in over a decade but in the old days you could clean them with some carburator spray and work them back and forth into they worked again. I take it that doesn't do it any more?

Reply to
Art

It may set a code but you it should be fine between now and when its fixed. Be sure to block the other end that comes form the exhaust as well.

Reply to
Blah blah

You should be fine with the vacuum line plugged. I have attempted to clean out my EGR on my '92 with no luck. I soaked the pintle area in carb cleaner, TB cleaner and still the pintle would not seat properly. My parts guy at the dealer was told that oven cleaner is supposed to work well.

Finally I broke down and spent the $76 at Saturn for one. NAPA wanted $73.

While my EGR was disconnected, the only time it would throw a code was after about 15 minutes of highway driving. Once you got off the highway, you could turn the engine off and the light would go out after restarting.

James

Reply to
James1549

If it runs fine with the vacuum hose disconnected, then the valve is not stuck. The control TO the valve is malfunctioning.

Reply to
Steve Barker