Grand Marquis EGR Valve Removal?

Hi all:

Can anyone help me with how to remove the EGR valve on a 95 Grand Marquis? It's shoved way up against the firewall and I haven't been able to come up with a tool or combination of tools that will let me get on the bolts and have room to turn the wrench. It's in a really tough place. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
JG

Get a 1 1/8" open end wrench from advance or autozone. Get a cheap one. Cut the thing to the right length.. BTW, why do you want to remove the EGR valve? It is seldom the problem. That's a hell of a lot of work to get to the least likely of your problems. The problem is almost always either the DPFE sensor bad, a bad/plugged vacuum line or plugged EGR ports under the throttle body. The EGR valve on them is damn near never the problem and it is expensive.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I agree with Lugnut. Most often, if you're getting a bad EGR flow code, it is the ports at the throttle body elbow to intake. They fill with crud and goo. Not too awful to clean out - I've done it about 3 times now on my '95 Crown Vic. There are lots of places on the web showing how to do it. I used to have a link for a good one - I'll dig for it.

You might share your experiences and symptoms - we may be able to save you a lot of headache.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

Guys:

I appreciate the advice. I am asking on behalf of my father-n-law. He took the car to Advanced Auto to get the code read. They told him it was EGR related, but didn't give him the actual code. He is going to be going back by the store and getting the exact code for me. Apparently the car does not have any driveability or performance issues other than the light is on.

In the mean time, if you have any more specific advise on DPFE sensor, bad/plugged vacuum line, or plugged EGR port under the throttle body, or if you run across the web link showing how to clean out the ports as you describe, please post it. Thanks so much.

JG

Reply to
JG

JG,

One simple test that often works - find the vacuum port on the EGR valve and attach a seperate line. Pull a vacuum on it while the engine is running. If the ports are OK, the engine will begin to run rough and might even stall. When I did this to mine, there was no change so I figured it was clogged ports. If it does get rough or stalls, suspect the DPFE.

Here are two helpful pages.

This one is for cleaning the EGR passages:

This is for replacing the DPFE which measures the EGR function:

This is a useful site. There are a bunch of them on the web. I think I found this after a tip here from Sharon Cooke... I can't find the link I originally used but these are quite good.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

Many thanks to Lugnut and PoD !!

My newly-acquired 93 Crown Vic has the same code, and the EGR is non-responsive also. I was about to try to remove the EGR, and you saved me from that fiasco !

Land O'Lakes Fred

Paul of Day> JG,

Reply to
septicman

It doesn't hurt to get a new gasket before you start. I had to get mine from the dealer but it might be available aftermarket, now. You need the throttle body elbow to intake manifold gasket. It is a rigid and thick metal type thing. You can get the throttle body to elbow gasket anywhere. You should get both.

Remember to stuff a rag into the manifold before you start cleaning the ports to keep chunks from falling inside. I used a shop vac and a screwdriver to chip out the big stuff. Throttle body cleaner spray took care of the rest with minimal scrubbing.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

Thank you all very much. I will get all this info to my father-n-law. Seems like it will do the trick. Thanks again.

JG

Reply to
JG

The problem was that it was carboned up. My father-n-law cleaned it all out, light was reset. Been driving it for a few days now, and no more issues. Thank you all once again.

Reply to
JG

Cool!

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

replying to Paul of Dayon, Kat wrote: I have a 1997 Grand Marquis and I had six codes pop up but there's only 3 codes that came up twice. P1401, P0301, P0125. I found a damaged spark plug wire which I'm replacing. But I'm not sure what I need to do for the other codes P1401 and P0125. I'm also going to flush my cooling system because I don't think it's ever been done.

Reply to
Kat