Engine replacement

What do I need to look out for when I'm looking for a engine and auto transaxle to replace the one in my '95 SW2. Will any year S series DOHC work if I insure that the proper sensors and engine controls ( EGR, throttle position etc.) are installed for the 95's OBD I computer? I imagine that my choices for a transaxle are more limited unless I convert to a 5 speed. Any insights, info and comments will be much appreciated.

Reply to
D V Brownell

I'm not too sure about newer models; but here's one thing to watch out for. Look and see if you have 2 coolant sensors. My 95 has 2, and I thought all of them did - but I think there has been reports on here that some of them only have 1 sensor. If your engine has 2 sensors and you replace it with an engine from a 94, you will need to tap a fitting in the water jacket for the other sensor. Also, on the 95s they went to an electric EGR, and the perch for the EGR valve on the head is flat. On the older cars without electric EGR, the perch is at an angle. There is an adapter for that. In 94 they had electric EGR on only NY/CA cars - and they used the same head as the rest, with the angle. So there is an adapter to make an electric EGR valve sit on a head that didn't have it. Mine is one such case, I have an adapter on it to use my electric EGR. Another thing, there were 2 sizes of O2 sensors....I tried to screw my 95 sensor into my 94 manifold and it didn't work. Ended up using the 95 one......no biggie, but something to remember.

Other than that everything worked fine. Can't help you on the transmission deal though.

If you're doing the swap yourself and want some tips, let me know.

Jamie

Reply to
BANDIT2941