Exhaust Resonator on 99 SW

Seems that I have a bad resonator. Dealer wanted to repair but I told them kto hold off for $$ reasons. I got a booK ( Haynes) and seems it is very lacking in what it has to offer in the way of info. I have read elsewhere that the resonator is not replaceable without cutting and welding etc. Will a regular exhaust shop maybe take of of it then if it is just a simple cut and weld like that or is there more to it? Can the damn thing just be cut out and straight pipe put in it's place. I am in Ca. so it might be an issue when it needs to be smogged again. Don't need any of those hassles.... Any help appreciated.... TIA

Reply to
69FLH

First thing that came to mind was that it's just for noise suppression. So far it appears to be just that. So, being an item I could not ignore(depending on how loud I listen to the radio) I would try to repair it. If it failed, I'm guessing you mean it developed a whole. I would use some muffler wrap on it to hold it over till I "had" to repair it.

Now as far as inpections go, well a wrap could be considered a temperary patch of the exhaust system, and if they can not get a valid sample I'm sure they will fail you. I chance it. I mean if you 'fix it' and it holds exhaust back, and out the designed flow path, could it be considered tampering?

A google search turned up the typical warnings about a failed resonator, same kind of warnings you get with open mufflers in fall:

search for 'resonator' theres the typicalwarning about broken ones could lead towards a fire under the car. BTW, here is a page where people talk about replacing it yourself:
Wish you luck, been years myself since I had to work on any exhaust piping(was a toyota thing), and with my saturn I seem to come accross electrical problems mostly.

later,

Reply to
newsgroups01REMOVEME

I also have a 99sw2 and my resonator went bad. It sounded like the muffler was shot because it's right under the front seats. I took it to the dealer and originally was told around $250. When I picked it up, it was free because it was a saturn defect.I didnt argue and left quickly. A mechanic told me it happens alot on older style resonators. The old style looks like a small cheap narrow muffler. The new one is a long welded one that looks like a long cat converter only much better made than the old one. I don't remenber if it's a one piece welded exhaust. Hope this helps

Reply to
R Miller