Flickering leads to shuttering

Today we drove about 300 miles to minnesota, almost burning the usual quart (since I havent switched those evil bosh plugs out yet - tomorrow) but now when I turn my turn signals on, the car momentarilly jerks slightly as If I ran over a big bump, and when I turn my lights on the battery idiot light comes on for a split second, also making the car jerk.

Also, the biggest problem: On our way there, while accerating, having the A/C on full, and cruise the car felt like it died. My GF was sleeping and woke up thinking we hit something, but the car just kept running afterwards.

I must also note that all of the gauges, lights etc act like all power is cut off.

Is my alternator still the likely culprit? This is acting like its dying again, though I just had it replaced a few months ago (eliminated problems completely, including odd engine noises.)

What causes alternators to fail? Could my battery help cause these issues? Help!

-Brian

Reply to
HyperCube33

Um I cant tell from here.

Usually heat.

Yes.

The ecm isnt getting voltage like it should thus everything it controls goes haywire. Autozone or advanceautoparts/partsamerica may be able to test your batt and alt for free... Go from there.

Reply to
BläBlä

Shweet. I was thinking of taking it somewhere to get it tested and then go back to the AAA 24 repair place I had to take it so I could get to work on monday when it failed last. I was told the repair had a 1 year warrenty...

Reply to
HyperCube33

Should I also note some other odd things that I've noticed with my car, in its current configuration;

-The Keyless entry has never worked more than 15ft, even with new batteries and contacts within the remote cleaned

-When jumping the battery, it acts like its dead for 15 minutes (guess) and after sitting for a while, not being jumped, it finally comes to life, the clock comes on, and the car can start. (The previous battery didnt do this, until I finally killed it after draining it 3 times)

-Problems usually increase with humidity, and or rain.

Reply to
HyperCube33

It doesnt like to start on the first try. 98% of the time, I have to sit until all of the guages, etc finally "warm up (or home) and then I can start. I've looked into this problem more than anything since its annoying to say the least. It doesnt match the description of other hard starting problems, including one where it "wont start until the car is cool." It actually starts better when the engine is up to temperature, like when it was just shut off.

I'm assuming this is a non-related problem but since I cant find anything on my current electrical crisis or my starting problem, I figured I should post it.

Reply to
HyperCube33

imho:

I had the same kind-of symptoms. 97SL2 wouldn't start if you sit down and then cranked it, you had to wait with the car on for a while(time to bucket in and adjust mirrors). The wait time would be different depending how long the car was off. If the car was off an hour, almost no wait, but a day, you had a few minutes to sit.

It was a faulty check valve in the fuel pump. The fuel manifold would drain back to the tank, and the pump had to fill and repressurized it.

So have your fuel pump checked.

Just saying...

tom @

Tom The Great