Fuel Injector Cleaner?

I was thinking about using some of that Prestone Fuel Injector Cleaner on my L-300 but I was wondering if it might harm my engine? I was also
wondering how well a $5 product could clean Fuel Injectors on a car? So what do you think is it worth it, or is it a waste of money to use it? And would it do any damage to my engine? Thanks, for any, and all help on this.
Chevron with Techron additive is the most recommended, it's the black bottle. If you cannot find that, use STP Fuel Injection Cleaner, also in a black bottle. Both can be bought at any auto parts store. Chevron additive has worked the beat on our older Saturns, costs about $8. Tried Prestone, did nothing for us.
--
marx404

_________________
I use a bottle of the STP injector cleaner every few months on my '01 lw300. At the cost of fuel these days, every mpg gained by having a clean fuel system is worth the cost of the cleaner.
The first time I used the cleaner, a week later I got a failure of the evap canister vent solenoid. I replaced the solenoid twice - interestingly, it always failed in August when it is hot. The third solenoid has been in service for two years now and no problems. I think that the original parts were of marginal actuation force and did not close always when actuated. Bottom line is that there is no credible relationship between solenoid failure and injector cleaner.

OK, So now I am not to sure if I should use it or not. I do not want to damage any solenoids, or anything like that. I guess I better ask this again will this product do any damage to my engine? I do not want to try it if there is any chance that it will do "any" damage to my L-300 engine. Thanks!
read my post again. What I told you is proven safe. STP FI cleaner or Chevron w/Techron additive, both in black bottles.
--
marx404

OK, Thanks for all the replys! I guess I will try the Chevron with Techron, since that seems to be the popular one here. Thanks again for the help!
Seriously, go use a brand name fuel system cleaner. I also try to put an engine flush in the oil before an oil change. I used to use a '5 minute motor flush' but haven't seen that on the shelves for a while. Now I use a quart of kerosene added to the oil prior to changing. Warm up the engine, stop it to add the cleaner and then run at idle for 5 minutes. Stop engine and drain promptly.

Oppie wrote:

You do this on modern engines? I used it to deal with stuck lifters in the 60s but figured it was a bad idea on most cars built since the end of the 70s.
David
snipped-for-privacy@geemail.com says...

I stopped reading his crap post right there.