gas additives

Looking at the shelf filled with over a dozen fuel system cleaners is overwhelming. Do they actually do anything useful? Are some brands better than others? The ones I saw today ran from about $4 for STP and $9 for Slick-50 which claims to do whatever it claims to do in only one tank.

Reply to
Privacy, please

One product... SeaFoam.

NAPA auto stores part SF-16.

Removes water, cleans up carbon deposits, stabilizes gas for vehicles and power tools in storage, etc.

I tried it in my Saturn to get the "I eat oil" problem solved... No luck yet but I only ran a half-dose through. Next, I'll use it in the oil and gas and possibly do a top-end soak.

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:

Joe Dufu

Chevron Techron is my favorite. Most of the rest are worthless. Run away from Slick 50.

Ed

"Privacy, please" wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

I agree totally.

The only other product I might try in my car is Yamaha's Ring Free which is said to be the best product to unstick stuck rings. Figure that out!?!

Reply to
Joe Dufu

IMHO, you guys are playing w/ fire by adding additives to a good working engine. Albeit I am a strong fan of Lucasoil products, I found that that is a no-no with Satty engines. So after looking further into it, I learned that most additives are not good for Saturns in the long run because of the foam casting and seals on these types of engines. Most can cause harm more than help.

STP can be safely used, I use the black bottle for FI engines and it does remove water to an extent too as well as maintain a clean engine. Scheduled cleaning of the throttle body with an approved TB cleaner spray (you can get that at Saturn or any auto parts dealer, $4) will safely remove any debris or residue from your intake system. Using quality gas and oil can't hurt either.

Cheerrs and Happy 2004! marx404

Reply to
marx404

What is quality gas? All the little shops buy their fuel from the larger companies but don't havethe signs and thus we don't have to pay the royalty fees.

I can see buying gas from a well maintained service station with good tanks, etc. But gas is usually gas wherever you go.

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:

Joe Dufu

Foam Casting?!?!

Foam casting is a technique whereby the positive image of the engine block is made of styrofoam. Then, that styrofoam copy of the engine block is packed with sand all around it. Then, moulten metal is poured into the styrofoam - sand mould. The styrofoam vaporizes, leaving a real metal version of the engine block in its place.

Now, that said, I don't understand at all how this manufacturing technique for an engine block made out of the same aluminium as "conventional" engines should impact how the engine reacts to additives.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen