Echo surging a few days then wouldn't start?

My used 2001 Echo was surging for a few days and then wouldn't start for anything. Tried a new battery which didn't work. Had it towed to a shop yesterday they say it started w/o a problem for them this morning and throughout the day. They say they've run extensive diagnostics on it and can't find anything wrong. They say the car has Bosch spark plugs in it which aren't very good and think changing to another brand of plug will fix the problem. Does this make any sense? Anyone have any suggestions of what might be wrong? The car has over 100K miles on it and I've had it for about 2 months now, so I don't know the history on it. Thanks for any help you may have!

Reply to
Puny Human

The "surging" could be caused by the Bosch spark plugs. Toyotas usually run better on the OEM Denso or NGK spark plugs.

When you say that the car would not start, do you mean that the starter would not engage or does the engine turn over and not catch?

If the starter will not engage, then make sure you have the clutch pedal fully depressed (if manual transmission) or transmission in park or neutral if automatic.

If the car is an automatic and will not start in park, try shifting to neutral. If it works, then the neutral safety switch is bad.

Reply to
Ray O

Gee, I used Bosch dual-platinum plugs in my Tercel and it ran just fine! I would ask the OP if the car requires dual platinum plugs (it is the same, or very similar engine as the Tercel) and did he replace the originals with D-P's.

Reply to
hachiroku

Thanks for the good information. I picked the car up a little while ago and it seems to be running well again. I'm hoping the new plugs will fix the problem. They installed Densos.

Reply to
Puny Human

You're welcome. good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Puny Human wrote: snip

Hate to pee in your porridges but I'd be very surprised if new plugs will cure 'surging'...it might 'miss' occasionally (or steadily) with bad plugs but 'surge'?

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I have to wonder if the fuel pressure regulator is not playinig well.

I am not sure if it throws a Check Engine code or not, but it could allow the fuel pressure to drop to the point that you would fee the surge, then not have any fuel pressure at all. If the pressure regulator is not the problem, I'd focus my search on the fuel delivery system, to include the fuel pump. Again though, I think there should be a fault code from the OBD II system.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Here is a source for OBD II Codes,

Jeff Strickland

I doubt if the fuel pressure regulator is the problem. First, a faulty regulator would probably cause a continuous driveability or starting problem (crank with spark, no start) and second, fuel pressure regulators rarely fail.

The OP should describe the conditions under which the "surge" occurs in more detail. By "surge" does the engine RPM increase or decrease? Engine hot ? cold? cruise? road speed? engine RPM? cruise or acceleration or deceleration? how long has the engine been running? ambient temp? How many miles on the car? General condition of the car? Manual or automatic transmission?

More likely causes of driveability problems that don't illuminate MIL's are leaks in the intake between the air flow meter and intake plenum/throttle body, vacuum leaks, clogged fuel filter, and driver unfamiliarity with the car.

Reply to
Ray O

I was thinking about replacing the fuel filter because I have no idea how old it is. The car is a 2001 with 105,000 miles on it. It seems to be in very good condition for the mileage. I bought it from a Toyota dealer, so I thought it should be in decent shape when I bought it. The "surging" seems to occur mostly when the engine is cold and the AC is on. I live in Phoenix and it's almost 100 degrees out at night right now. The car is a 5 speed. I was also thinking I may have gotten a bad tank of gas. I tossed some fuel system cleaner in it today and filled the tank with premium. Not sure if it helped yet. Do you guys have any ideas of where to find a service manual for this car? I also own a Tacoma, but this Echo has me stumped whenever I try to locate anything on it. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for the fuel filter. Is it under the chassis closer to the gas tank like on the Tacoma? Thanks again for the help you've provided!

Reply to
Puny Human

I doubt if the fuel filter is the cause of the "surging" because it would happen whether the engine is hot or cold.

If the fuel system cleaner doesn't work, try the stuff I listed earlier.

Do you guys have any

You can go to Toyota.com and get service manuals for a fee.

Reply to
Ray O

Remember to post an update so if what you do fixes it, others may learn.

Thanks,

tom @

The Real Tom

Did some more research, check the circuit for the fuel pump.

Reply to
Ray O

I will post any updates. So far the car has been starting ok since I got it back from the shop following the spark plug replacement. Thanks for the advice!

Reply to
Puny Human