HORROR STORIES- victims keep emailing me! 5/13

From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 07:58:49 EDT Subject: Broken timing Chain To: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

We have a 2001 l200 Saturn with less than 70.000.00 miles that the timing chain broke on. The dealer wants $2300.00 to repair it. I don't have the money. absolutely no help from the dealer. What can we do?? The Cody Family

(only thing you can do is warn others about Saturn's worthless and SHORT TERM warranty!)

Reply to
misterfact

Joe in FL owns a Saturn salvage business and has remarked in the past about seeing broken chains - you might do a Google search and or contact Joe at:

for additional info.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

What advice did you give them ? Did you give them any technical info on how they could actually get their car fixed ? Did you help them explore the most cost effective repair options so that they might save a few $?

Or... did you just teach them how to whine? I still dont understand why people think the dealer should help. Sure thats a lot of money . But again the warranty is pretty clear and Saturn doesnt hide that fact. Should teh chain of broken ? Dont know. Do you have a complete service history from these people? Did they have regular oil changes ? How do they drive ? What caused the chain to break? They usually dont just break without warning.

Please , in all seriousness , explain to me why a dealer/manufacturer should be expected to provide warranty service 34k miles past the factory warranty.

How is it worthless? Their "short term " warranty was the standard length for a lot of years. I am sure they were offered an extended warranty when they bought it.

Reply to
Blue87T

70,000 miles for a vehicle that is only three or four years old is quite a lot. As noted in the parent, these things don't break in a vaccum - there are almost always precipitating events and warnings of imminent failure. (ie, "Gee, the oil light came on but I just kept driving because I didn't have time to deal with it.") While not unique to Saturns, because many Saturn engines are zero clearance, a broken chain likely would have done more (and severe) damage to the engine than could be repaired by simply replacing the chain.

OTOH, a second opinion usually doesn't hurt, if it is available. Dealers tend to charge a little more than non-dealer repair facilities. Then again, you expect that the dealer would - have the most experience in repairing your vehicle make - have available all of the right tools for the right job for that particular vehicle

Apparently not. Perhaps a bicycle would be more appropriate for this person - then again when the tire goes flat he'll find a way to blame the rock that he hit.

-rj

98SL2
Reply to
richard hornsby

My Festiva ('88) has 250,000miles on it andthe timing chain hasn't broke! If you think 70,000 miles on an engine before the timing chain breaks is GREAT- I'm sure you think it's great unless it happens to you!

Reply to
misterfact

Thats cool that your Festiva has lasted that long . I dont think anyone here said or even implied that a chain breaking is "great" . It does happen though and thats just the nature of mechanical parts

Reply to
Blue87T

If they keep e-mailing you then get yourself a bigger garbage can !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr tired of hearing you complain !!!!

Reply to
Laurent Doiron