Re: More SATURN HORROR STORIES

>Front air deflectors springs fall off , headlite bulbs burn out, tail lamp

> >bulbs burn out, sunroof tracks, recliners, seatback pads, seatback frames, > >speedos ( not the bathing suit), doem lite falls down , wheel bearing noise, > >wipers strip ( and at the worst time- trying to clear 5 inches of snow off ) > >, > >sun roof leaks, rear wheel bearings, power steering pump leaks, timing > >chains, > ...snip snip > > I love it! Great!!! Nice compilation Blue. Better yet, maybe he shouldn't own a > car. Since he is faced with the fact that things do wear out and break, that > should about drive him insane.

I heard Saturn made more than 150,000 cars with cylinder head casting flaws! I know it's a lot because I've talked to 8 people who either had the problem or know someone who did.

Reply to
Michael Korman

My Dealer just tell me , i have to change the cylender head on my 98 sl2, oil in coolant, $2500 cdn.!!!shit! "Michael Korman" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
D. Gignac

Wow! Just a few weeks ago, it was only 100,000 cars. And this statistical projection is made from talking to only eight people.

You truly must be a genius.

Alan King

Reply to
Alan King

I dont even remember how many I fixed. The point is that ALL cars have flaws. There is no reason Saturn had to provide ANY extended service warranty for this problem , yet they did. If your head cracks, so what ? All cars break some time. You cant expect Saturn to fix your car for free for the rest of your life. If you want 100k mile warranty - buy an extended warranty or a Hyundai... but then what happens when it breaks at 150k miles ?

Reply to
Blue87T

Some states have 3 dealerships, some have over 150. The average is about 40. Why don't you tell us how many auth Saturn mechanics there are inthe U.S. I guess you don't give us the figure because you have a hard time figuring.

Subject: RE: cracked cylinder head in my Saturn Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:20:38 -0800 From: "Robin "Jd to Address Book To: "Mister Fact"

Please add my post. I honestly can't remember where I saw your post, as there were so many websites with this kind of info. You can also include that I brought this info to the dealer and he said that he would fix it for $1200 (originally quoted to be $3400). Apparently the secret warranty has not been extended to cover the '98 models, but I have a feeling it will soon. This seems to be the year that this model year will break down.

Thanks for what you've done. My internet research has saved me at least $2200, and maybe more if I decide to sue my dealer.

-Robin

-----Original Message----- From: Mister Fact [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com] Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 10:20 AM

Hello, I was just reading your comments on this web page:

I have a '95 saturn SL with 130K miles, and they just told me it has a cracked cylinder head and it will cost upwards of 2500K. Naturally this is beyond warranty, and the car is barely worth that much. Do you know what recourse I have to fight this? Any suggestions? Thanks so much.

Tom

Re: SATURN HORROR STORIES by: yoranidiotoo (M/wherever government investig) 03/19/04 11:39 am Msg: 318 of 320 Saturn's repuatation was made by recalls in the beginning.

When they first came out, they had all sorts of problems, and with each problem the press praised them because they fixed them. A new kind of car company, they shouted from the rooftops.

Recalls are good press mentality was built. It doesn't matter how good or bad the car is, it only matters how good the recalls are. Saturn succeeded by failing.

As to the head problem, tell them that Ford backdated the warrantee coverage to the first models of the Windstars that had head problems, up to 100,000 miles.

GM/Saturn should cover the costs - they made it, they should cover it. It's a new kind of car company, remember.

Posted as a reply to: Msg 316 by misterfact

To: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Subject: SATURN VUE Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 16:31:28 -0500

Misterfact

We purchased a brand new 04 Saturn vue. Quickly our new car experience went sour.

One week after we made the purchase, we noticed the back cargo light casing was just hanging off and not attached. So we made a call to take it in and have that fixed. While waiting for our repair appointment to have the cargo light attached, the CD player ate and refused to give back my CD and I also noticed a rattle in the dash board AND the far right dash board lights had quit. So, when we finally took it in for it?s first set of repairs (with in 7 days after it?s purchase), the stereo had to be replaced, the cargo light attached, and the rattle in the dash board was diagnosed as a ?BENT STEERING COLUMN? AND the lights started working so they could not diagnose the light problem. So they had to order the new stereo and the steering column. Now the dash board lights from the 70MPH and all the way over to the left do not work. We had them look at this problem and they supposedly ordered a part for this over 3 weeks ago and have not called us to schedule this repair.

Then several days ago we received their letter stating Saturn Vue?s may experience transmission problems.

AND ? Not once have they offered us a car to drive while the vue was in the shop. It is a 60 mile round trip to they?re location.

Traci

Reply to
misterfact

What state has "over 150" retailers? None. Let's provide some facts (not falsehoods like Mr. Fact here.)

Fact #1: There are a total of 440 Saturn retailers. If each retailer had 10 mechanics (deliberately a high-ball figure) there would be only 4400 Saturn mechanics. To get to your guess of

20,000 saturn techs, there would need to be 50 per retailer - pretty crowded in those service bays :-)

Fact #2: The average number of Saturn retailers per state is 8.8, not the 40 you quote.

Fact #3: No state has even 150 retailers. California has the most at 42. (Then Florida at 34, Texas at 28. Montana doesn't have any.)

So, where did you come up with "over 150"? Where did you come up with 20,000 Saturn Mechanics? Clearly, your estimate of the number of cracked cylinder heads is bogus, based on guesses without even the simplest of research to determine whether those guesses are anywhere near correct. (For example, your assumption that there are 2500 Saturn retailers when there's not even

500..) -Rick
Reply to
Rick Murphy

Why don't you stop wasting your time with your guesses as to the number of present and former Saturn mechanics in existence. The issue is the number of cracked cylinder heads due to Saturn casting flaws. I said that a customer rep told me the figure is 100,000 to date. If you want to waste time labeling me a liar-go ahead. I think I'll check out your written record on google message boards and will post your famous expose of all the other liars you have caught in the act. Keep up the great investigations! with all the problems with Saturns by definition you would certainly need 20,000 mechanics worldwide, working 12 hrs a day- to service all that junk!

Reply to
misterfact

Here's the latest Saturn cracked cyl head victim- no doubt due to casting flaws.

Hi,

I have recently read your letter about Saturn casting flaws. We have a 2002 Saturn SL2 and the head just cracked on it. We were told by Saturn that this was something new that they have never seen. That it would cost us over $2,000 to fix it but they would give us a deal and take $100 off. Or we can trade it in but they won't even give us what we owe on it. Do you have any suggestions on what we can do??

Thanks, Cheryl

Something NEW- NEVER SEEN ! Yeah- sure!

Reply to
misterfact

Actually, Rick's info sounds pretty good. It is yours that sounds like pure wild ass guess.

Ah, now it is a "customer rep" who told this tale of casting flaws. And exactly why would a "customer rep" risk his job telling you such a thing, even if it were true.

Oh well, he probably felt safe spilling his guts to someone called "misterfact".

Alan King

Reply to
Alan King

If you knew anything about Saturns, which you obviously don't , you would know that the "casting issue " - whic by the way I am not denying exists " - cant possibly be related to a 2002 SL2 because the head is a totally different design than a SL1 .

Are you that ignorant to think that NO other car manufacturer has manufacturing issues that they know about but still let out on the road. Read the warranty :

3 yrs / 36,000 miles against gues what ? MANUFACTURER DEFECT!!!!!!!!!!!

Please .. give it a rest with the conspiracy theory and lawsuits.... you buy a car it is warrantied for "x" period of time and after that - tough luck. Buy an extended warranty ... how long should a part last ??

People like yourself .. a great consumer watchdog ... crack me up . Why cant you get it that ALL cars have a "common problem " at some time?

Reply to
Blue87T

Come on, is that REALLY necessary?

What makes you say that? Isn't it possible that the new design is also prone to whatever flaws existed in the earlier design? My dealer's service manager made a similar (although, to his credit, a less dogmatic statement) about the problems of the 1994-1996 SOHC voluntary recall vs the 1999 engine. Still his staff did find that my engine (the '99) had a cracked head. A number of others have, too, some of whom have posted in this forum and others who have reported to NHTSA.

No other car I have owned, including a 1996 Honda Accord, has had this problem. It seems to be heavily skewed to GM engines, from what I've seen by search Google.

If proper care is taken, a Saturn engine should last roughly as long as any other engine. From what I've been able to glean by Google searches, cracked heads are far too frequent at relatively low mileage ( People like yourself .. a great consumer watchdog ... crack me up . Why cant

You are rude. Were I you, I would not be surprised to find myself killfile-d. That would result in people missing your more helpful and useful posts, which would be a shame. Please consider "lightening up." :)

Reply to
Steve

Actually I think it is. It stinks when people come on this board and make blanket statements about issues they have no clue about. My rational is that if someone reads his/her posts then even if the info isnt true the seed is planted in the back of an uniformed person's head and they also will now be part of the growing ignorance in regards to the ceratin issue.

The SOHC heads crack in a certain location. While I didnt dispute the possibility of a cracked DOHC head ( they had their own set of issues in the same years but that issue never seems to get much attention here) I would dispute relating the cause to the cause of the SOHC issue. In some regards it apples to oranges - just because the DOHC head cracked it doesnt necessarily mean its due to casting issues. Any time an item is cast there is always a possiblity of problems.

True... the SOHC head cracking issue is unique to its design. But I still stand by my point- when you buy a car the only warranty you get is the one described in the owners manual- which for this particular car is/was 3yrs/36k miles. After that - like it or not - the owner is technically on their own.

True,,, and many do - when I worked on them there were tons that didnt have problems.

True again - but the point is the same - after 36k miles the owner is on their own. If they have a problem and arent happy about it then they wont buy another of that manufacturers product. Saturn tried to offer the " secret warranty " - a phrase I hate, and yet people still rag on them... and then come up with more theories found in limited fact - usually their own individual experience with a loose relation to some elses.

At times...

That wouldnt bother me... odd I would be kill filed for supporting Saturn in a Saturn newsgroup.

Will do ;)

Reply to
Blue87T

My 1998 SL2 has been great.