How many auto part suppliers does it take to replace an alternator?

My 97 SL1 alternator has finally died. I have gone to several parts suppliers. No one can seem to find the right part that has the correct mounting and the correct connector for the wiring harness (oval not rectangle).

NAPA told about an automotive electrical place that rebuilds alternators. That's my last try before going to Saturn to be scourged of my money....

Reply to
Blind Saturn Driver

We have a rebuilder here in White Plains, NY. Shop does alternators, starters, rack&Pinion steering and half shafts. Found them by accident when my normal parts outlet didn't have stock, was very busy and just told me to go around the corner to the rebuilder direct. Been dealing with them direct ever since. Cash only (from me they will now take a check). For some parts, I have leave the original to have it rebuilt rather than getting an exchange on the spot. Name is DCS rebuilders and they aren't even in the phone book and look like a hole in the wall but they do good work. Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Bizzare. I went to the local parts place (custom auto, Hempstead NY) and the guy pretty much has them under the counter. You'd think given the history of Saturn alternators, everyone would have them, cause they blow up pretty regularly for some reason.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Yeah, I've never had trouble getting one. I know that there are 2 types of plugs, an oval and a square one, but not sure what years that started etc. The alternators are the same thing though, its just the plug is different.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

SPS sells a high output one and some type of plug adapter too...

(if the link above doesn't work, and then go to Engine Accessories)

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Well guys, Success! Barney's Automotive Electrical Services of Fort Wayne rebuilt my alternator for less than $80. I guess Saturn will have to wait for my money.

alternators.

Reply to
Blind Saturn Driver