Merky Coolant, Low.

Over the past winter if any of you may have read, I had my water pump go out and had that reserviced [after it dumped quite a bit of coolant I may add]. This winter I had a lot of moisture in my oil, and my oil cap had a weird jell film that looked like cold grease from burgers or something. Today I got a new surprise: Low coolant flashing. The engine feels hotter than normal, but its also hotter than it was a month ago out, so I'll put this aside.

I opened it up and the coolant was indeed low, about a cup or so. Filled it to the line. Its a nice brownish color now. I'm quite sure the coolant in it before was yellow as its the UNIVERSAL that they put in, not the red that my car had when I purchased it used. Does this mean the headgasket is gone? How much will this put me back?

Oh well, at least I've replaced just about everything =D

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

Sounds more like wrong coolant.. My mother in law had red coolant in her car but when someone did an oil change for her they topped off the coolant with a socalled universal collant. Abot a month later she had me gas and check her liquid levels. The coolant was low and looked dirty, I took a white paper towle and dipped it into the coolant and when I pulled it out it looked like I stuck it into an old waste oil container.. It looked like what you would see on an oil dipstick when the oil hadn't been changed for years.. We took the car in and they thought head gasket bt I thought wrong antifreeze so we had it completely drain and flushed then replaced the coolant with new.. $100 later but all has been good since!

Reply to
p_vouers

I'll have them do it ASAP. Perhaps at the place they screwed up?

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

Sounds like a head gasket and you are getting a coolant/oil mix based on your description. Get it tested ASAP to prevent long-term damage.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman