Missfiring SL1 (97)

If nothing else they sure have character. I have been struggling with a miss fire for several weeks now. I had some luck when I replaced the plug wires and used the "recommended" plugs but that only lasted 3 months (last winter). Now I put the bosch platinum plugs back in. Interesting, when I put a strobe on the plug wires, the shortest wire would intermitently light up the strobe. So I put an old longer plug wire in and it would light the strobe steadily. Well that lasted a day and now my car is missfiring again. It seems okay at hyway speeds and under hard acceleration but jerks and stumbles a lot 40-65 kmph under light throttle. I went through hundreds or thousands of messages on this board last winter which pointed to the wires and plugs. I am thinking of upgrading the wires and coils but hate to spend money if its not gonna do the job. OBD11 code PO341 (which I know the car does not have this part)keeps coming up.

Dave D.

Reply to
David De Vuono

I've had the same sort of problems when I first got mine - first try replacing the fuel filter. Sort of simple, but it fixed mine. Second, get the fuel pump tested.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Check that you have the plug wires routed just right. IIRC, there's something about OBDII Saturns that makes them touchy about the wire type and routing, and if it's not perfect, they do weird things.

Before going for the ignition and coils, you might want to try pulling out the crank sensor and cleaning any junk/chips off it, or see if it's flakey.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Quick question... Does it act up when its hot or anytime? Be sure to check your wires with an ohm meter, the same can be done with your coils. Btw never buy aftermarket coils or ignition modules. OEM's from a junkyard will often work better.

Reply to
Blah blah