Motor oil found in coolant.

I have a 1992 SL1 with 84,000 miles on it. the low coolant light came on and I checked the level. when I did I noticed what seems to be motor oil mixed with the coolant. Has anone else had this happen? I think a gasket must be leaking somewhere.

Reply to
H20Rapidz

Sounds like a head gasket or bad head.

James

Reply to
James1549

Yes, definitely a head gasket. Happened to one of my SL's.

Reply to
Blind Saturn Drive

Check into the well documented (in this newsgroup) issue with the aluminum head cracking at a cam journal due to a design flaw.

Frank

97 SL1
Reply to
Frank

Or might be oils from inside new set of cooling system hoses as I have had each time I've replaced the hoses. Hoses replaced twice, at 100,000 miles per set, and still no cracked head at 255,000 miles, 2000 SL2.

Be sure it is a cracked head before spending the BIG $.

Reply to
mcyben

The cracked head issue is with the 1996 and earlier SOHC models only. Some people have been able to get the Saturn facilities to pay for later SOHC models but not many. A 2000 SL2 should have no problems. I would expect Saturn to still cover at least 50% of the cost for your 1992 SL1. Get it done know. Good Luck.

Reply to
Matt hotmail

Well I took the car in today I havent heard anything yet. My newsgroup browser only allows me to review articles from past 30 days. If the head is cracked which I believe will be the case becuase there is no smoke coming from exaust pipe and the coolant was like grey slug. How do I argue with saturn that this is a factory mistake? I know they wont admit there was a problem with the head cracking with 96 and prior SOHC engines.

Reply to
H20Rapidz

Well I heard back from the dealership. They want $500 to tear the head down to see if it is the gasket or the head. this is not the repair just the tear down. I called a few engine exchange places and it will cost me $3000 to rebuild my engine new pistons rings bearings oil pump with 3 year unlimited mile warrenty. $3000 is a lot but I get a motor with 0 miles. compared to a $1200 repaired head on a motor with 85,000 miles on it. The car is in great shape and wonder if the rebuild is the better option.

Reply to
H20Rapidz

Looks like you've bought into Saturn propaganda. From many other posts here and in the NHTSA database, this problem continued on through *at least*

1999. I would not be at all surprised to discover that owners of 2000 models also have the problem.
Reply to
Steve

At suggestion of my dealer's service manager, I contacted Saturn Customer Service (there was a link to them on the Saturn web site). Saturn agreed to pay for the parts; I paid for the labor, total cost to me just over $1000. YMMV. In fact, since you have an earlier model (mine is a 1999 SL), you may be covered under the warrantee extension (to 10 years/100,000 miles), although my information was that it covered 1994-1996 model years. Good luck!

Reply to
Steve

I just took my car in --'98 SL1 with 85K miles--because it was loosing coolant fluid (my light was flashing). A few days later, the level was low, so I took it in. The dealership quoted me $2800 to fix--the cylinder cracked & has to be replaced; the oil & coolant are mixing. After reading this & other posts, it's infuriating to think that Saturn is not dealing with the problem. I plan to call them tomorrow. I am taking it to another garage to get a 2nd opinion/quote.

Reply to
michelle