Coolant loss mk4 golf

I was doing my 2 weekly checks under the bonet and topping up etc. I noticed my coolant is down to just above the minimum marker. 2 weeks ago it was just under the max marker.

I'm guessing I have a leak somewhere ?

Never had to fix anything like this before any ideas where to start.

I did have a look around the hoses and couldn't see anything blarringly obvious. But I guess it the level is low it must be losing it somewhere.

In 3 years of owning it I've never had to touch the coolant untill now.

I'll top it up today when I buy some g12 coolant and monitor is closely. MAybe run the engine at temperature and watch for any hissing or slow coolant leaks from the likely hoses.

Advice welcomed

p.s. the car is a mk4 golf 2001 1.6 16v AZD engine

Reply to
Peter smith

water pump often leaks on those IIRC, so that would be the first thing to stare at

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Often breaks too :-(

Zimmy

Slow leaks are often difficult to find. If all else fails, it may be necessary to pressure test the system.

Pressure testers are pretty much too expensive for the average DIYer; you may need to find a local independent garage to test it for you. Alternatively, if you have a friendly AA man locally, the tester is part of their standard kit...

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to tip in any sort of "leak stopper"!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If you have the money to gamble you could try getting a new filler cap. My Mk 3 used to do something weird wth the coolant and a new cap seemed to sort it.

Reply to
Angus

Ahh, I did read they were made with plastic imprellers (sp?) and are now made with metal ones, thanks VW. Is the waterpump located near the camblet on the left hand side of the engine.

I shall have to google a image as parts of the engine are a bit alien to me :)

Reply to
Peter smith

Hi Angus

I did read about this on ukmkivs and seems the plastic seal gets knackered and coolant evaporates after being run and cooling down.

I may give this ago if I don't see any obvious leaks.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
Peter smith

Actually the new impellers are plastic too, but a harder, more heat resistant variety (well mine was). The tell-tale sign is overheating at higher motorway speeds. If you are removing the water pump anyway, best to replace both it and the timing belt while you're there. Seeing the state of the old one, they really are crap plastic and will go eventually. Its in front of the engine about halfway down.

Zimmy