OBD2 code scanner preferences

Does anybody have a preference for a laptop computer / OBD2 code scanner?

I had been looking at the autotap unit

The new ones are now USB rather than RS-232 into the computer since many of the new laptops no longer have external serial connectors. USB is faster anyway.

Gives generic data and at additional cost, enhanced data specific to GM shch as transaxle settings. (does this apply to Saturn too?)

My son has a similar tool specifically for use with VW and it can set how the door latches lock and unlock (and at what speed). This along with about

200 parameters that no sane user would touch. Good tool though and nice user interface.

Thanks for any other recommendations and comments Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

No experience here (sorry), there is similar for PDA's, re:

...and don't know if there's anything at:

Jonnie Santos

I have a laptop and no pda so you see where I'm going with this. The obdii.com site has some good information on it and appears to be operated by B&B electronics and autotap. I expect that there would be some brand favoritism there.

Was looking to see if one of the group gurus had any insights on plain generic model vs the enhanced data versions reletive to the Saturn cars.

Regards, Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

...kind of a weird question - but I have thought about doing some war driving with my laptop however the passenger seat is not flat, and hard braking would send the computer flying. Any ideas?

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Seatbelt??

I've used it to hold odd shaded items in place...not sure if it would work with a laptop. You could also try one of those bungee cords with hooks on the ends - one hook under the seat and one on the seat back maybe. I dunno...I'm ramblin' here... :-)

Cheers!

Glomis

Reply to
Glomis

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Hey there,

I just ordered a scan tool from

It is the same tool made and sold by
It comes with new software made by Digimoto and it appears to be a very good setup. I will have it next week sometime, so I will post again after I get to try it out!

Tom

2001 Yellow SC2 1992 Blue SC
Reply to
Tom Vaughan