Re: Oil burner -- what to do?

My 1995 SW2 with 70k miles burns a couple quarts of oil per change. It

> is otherwise a good car, since I fixed the EGR valve problem. One > symptom that I noticed yesterday is blue smoke immediately upon > starting, but no visible blue smoke while driving. My questions: > > 1. Does this symptom indicate leaky valve guides, as opposed to bad > piston rings? Is there a definitive way to figure out which (or both) > are at fault?

Yes, the bad valve seals are a common problem. They need to be replaced. Most try to rehone and replace the oil rings without much luck. I tore down my '94 SL2, and have these observations and opinions: The worn valve seals are only part of the problem, when I looked at the bores of the cylinders, they looked like they had been poorly honed at the factory with a contaminated or broken hone, clearly a quality control problem. There was a deep groove cut in the same crosshatch pattern as the other honing.I took it to a machine shop and had it rebored to remove the factory honing altogether. Since I have seen a number of postings from people who have only replaced the rings with mediocre results, I wonder if this problem is widespread. After breakin it uses a miniscule amount of oil.

Larry

Reply to
H.H. Mayo

To all, The reason for the oil burning is due to the oil rings being softer allowing for greater horsepower and torque. The pistons are also made of poorer quality in the S-Series engines. Do not be alarmed-poorer quality does not mean that your engine will die tomorrow. This just means that you will need to check the oil every one-two weeks or 500-1000 miles and add as necessary. A saturn engine with a little bit of added oil each week should last 200,000 miles without issues. When you want to rebuild it, just buy a new ion. The Ecotec (spelled correctly) has been tested to up to 500hp (not ground/dyno) without major issues or you can rebuild your engine with strong performance parts easily availible thru your dealer or a website DO NOT USE normal saturn parts to rebuild your DOHC or SOHC engine or you will end up with the same issue between 30,000 to 50,000 miles for a cost of $2,000. When I say rebuild I mean Pistons (with all necessary parts) and high temp oil stems with a machine shop to rebore (sp?) the cylinders. Enjoy. Matt

Reply to
Matt hotmail

Nice generic, misinformed message.

ground/dyno)

performance

Reply to
NG

If you use Saturn rings(Hastings) you run the risk of the same thing happening. Get a different brand of rings when you rebuild it. I have Sealed Power rings in mine.....

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Reply to
Matt hotmail

If you're going to criticize, you could take a moment to be a little less generic and vague yourself.

-[snip]-

Reply to
richard hornsby