B200E engine. What to do ?

The old faithful has finally blown a head gasket with 180,000 on the clock. Recon engine, where ? Second hand, where ? Suggestions please, useful ones. In for a cylinder pressure test next week but meanwhile ?

Reply to
David

I have tried to do two of these for my father, in both cases I found the pistons to be rattling around inside the bores (severe wear).

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Thank you Andy. I suspect the same. What did you do ?

Reply to
David

insane though it might at first sound , you may get a decent one with a tatty saloon around it from your local main dealer for peanuts.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Errr, scrap it!

The trouble I found, unlike most cars you can replace the rings, however, on this car the bores tend to wear in an oval shape. I suspect if your Volvo has this problem also, then you would be better off with a younger replacement engine. Still, lucky you don't have a B200F - The cat would have almost certainly been killed when the gasket went.

Take it apart and have a look, you have very little to loose now.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Is that an Ovlov engine (IYSWIM)? Try VolSaa in Derby or the SalVo group in Ilkeston (I pass it every day). Some years ago VolSaa rebuilt my old B21 engine - just a short recon, but it was a really sweet engine after that. Either will have second-hand units in stock.

Another option is to put out a request on one of the websites like Breakerlink or findanengine.co.uk and see what comes back.

You'll be looking at £250 upwards though. Top quote I had (for an Omega) was £945, but that was a full recon.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Thank you Duncan. You mean a car they have taken in part exchange ?

Reply to
David

Thank you Chris. The recon for =A3945 seems only double for paying my garage to fix the head. Where is Omega, i am based in East Anglia.

Reply to
David

I assume whoever does the compression test is aware that these are high compression engines?

Reply to
Grizzly

No, I meant for a Vauxhall Omega, but I suspect the cost of rebuilding any engine is broadly similar (the Omega is also a 2 litre 4 cylinder).

That quote came from bh-autokraft.com through Breakerlink and included delivery.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Yep, they can't get rid of them fast enough, it'll cost £25 to scrap it & you can hear the engine running.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If you're in East Anglia then Ivor Searle out near Ely or Lyndale in Peterborough are both worth a ring. However you need to rember the cost of fitting.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I believe it is to pressurize the cylinders not leaking through gasket and see if there is a likelihood of worn piston rings. I am searching engines right now just in case.

Reply to
David