Saturn SL2 Died away from Home/ Please comment

Yesterday I drove from Upstate NY to Long Island

My destination was made and then car died. Each time I started the car it would die when I drove a few feet. (More later about this) I called towing service $650 plus tolls to get my car home, forget this. I called vehicle donation program to take car away. No way must have title. I said I do not carry it in my car. Oh no what should I do. Thank GOD I was very close to ADVANCE AUTO.

I spent 8 hours fixing transmission line leak. Lost 3 quarts of oil. Real leak was oil transmission oil filter, Finally no leaks but:

When I drive the car it would die when I would hit the brake pedal. So I drove and would use hand brake to go down the street.

So I drove to a service station that night and asked if they can take a look. I said perhaps can not be fixed tonight so Mechanic said he will disable Brake pedal switch. Okay we talked for a few min I said do not bother we can pull fuse. He was great only 10 dollars for one hour. Long Island is great

I was on my way. Another couple of problems. Signal light and flasher would also make engine spit sputter and almost die. So I avoided using them.

At last I made it home Today a new day clean all oil off of front of transmission area. Open up wiring harness. No oil in harness. Clean all wires to transmission and oh boy no more problem.

Not exactly sure why car is running with no problems. I put the fuse back for the brake lights and still no problem.

Anybody have a clue what happened ? All day today car is running fine. Should I trust this car again?

Reply to
dave

Have the battery and alternator tested. I know some automotive stores do this for no charge. Very weird things can happen if the electrical system is having problems.

It's good to hear you didn't get rid of the car. It is always cheaper to fix what you own rather than buy something else (assuming what you buy is in a better condition). I'll never understand how some people justify getting rid of a car over a "too expensive" repair when the alternative is spending

20x - 100x as much on a new car.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

dave, what year SL2? Have you had a shop check for codes? it's very easy and could tell what your issue is.

Reply to
marx404

I agree with you 100% on this, but there are a lot of people who are afraid that if they dump a large amount in, that there will then be a catastrophic failure within a short time and their money and the repair will wave goodbye!

My problem is just the opposite, I tend to dump parts and time into things that are not worth it. I spent hours a year ago putting a new floor into my Ford F-150, but the frame was really too rusty to justify such and I had to junk the truck a few months ago when the truck became too unsafe to drive.

Reply to
David Teichholtz

Sounds like the battery is not getting charged and is so bad a little extra load drops the voltage too low. Alternator and/or battery problem. Fred

Reply to
Fred

probably bat and alernator.. especiallly if you where throwing oil up at the alternator

Reply to
p_vouers