Is This Problem The Ignition?

I have a '97 Saturn. It runs great but recently when I try to start the car it takes a number of tries of turning key, taking key out and trying again etc. It seems to be getting gradually worse over the last month. Should I replace the ignition or is it a loose wire? How much would it cost to have a mechanic replace it?

Thank-you

Reply to
ED

Have you been doing routine maintenance? Replace the fuel filter if you haven't done it yet. How dim do the lights get when cranking? This is a measure of the voltage the battery can put out under load. Word has it that these cars have problems if the battery voltage is too low. May need a new battery - especially if it is over 4 years old. Some cars also will not fire until the oil pressure lamp goes off or until the ECU has done it's baseline tests. Don't know if yours is one of these.

You're-welcome

Reply to
Oppie

my '94 would do that. you could crank it for an hour, then turn it completely off, and try again, and it would start on a half a revolution. Never did figger it out myself.

S. Barker

I meant to say that it's not cranking at all. As soon as it cranks it will start.

This is a measure of the voltage

Reply to
ED

Then it is a problem with the starter possibly. The starter has a large wire going to the battery and a smaller wire that is connected to battery + when the key is turned. If you can get to it, short the small wire terminal to the battery terminal - it should crank. If it doesn't, check that the grounds and cable connections are all tight (also clean the battery terminals if you haven't already). If it still doesn't crank, look at replacing the starter. A common failure is the starter solenoid studs that hold the battery cable and wire into the starter motor work loose, arc and eat up the threads on the stud. Bottom line, loose connection.

Could also be a bad contact in the ignition switch. You can test the circuits with a test lamp. Don't use a meter - it doesn't draw enough current to get a good reading for these purposes.

Reply to
Oppie