service engine light

My service engine light keeps coming on. When I stop the car and turn it off...then start it up again, the light usually goes out. If I don't turn the car off, the light will stay on the entire time that I am driving...but usually it goes off after I've turned the car off and start it again. The car seems alright, no funny noises or driving problems. Its a 96 sl1 saturn that has 120k on it...oil change has been done recently. Any suggestions?

Reply to
saturnsl1year96

You need to read the computer's error code to determine why it illuminated the SES light. Our local Autozone will read the code for free and tell you the reason with the assumption you will buy your parts there for the repair. You just need the light on when they read it...

Same thing happened on my son's 1996 SL1 (light would go off on its own and then return when driving) and it turned out to be the EGR valve. We were able to remove the valve and clean it out. The total cost was $3 for the EGR gasket. That was about 10K miles back and the light has not come on again since then.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to
Blah Blah

Thank you! Husband is gone...how long can I wait on it?

Reply to
saturnsl1year96

Without knowing the reason it's illuminated, it is not really possible to answer your question. If you have an Autozone close to your house, then take it there and ask the person behind the counter to read your OBD-II service engine code. If it is the EGR, as I suspect it might be, then you can wait till he returns but your vehicle will be outside emissions standards and if running rich for too long can damage the catalytic converter.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Depends on whether the light was flashing or on solid. Flashing means that the vehicle should not be driven (might catch fire like Jonnie Santos'). Solid on means that the controller has detected a problem but the car is still drivable. When in doubt get it checked ASAP. A simple test by any garage will tell you whether the car should be driven. Peace of mind is good.

Reply to
Oppie