"service engine soon" on '93 SL1

My '93 SL1 with 143k miles suddenly had the SES light come on a couple days ago. The light only comes on going 65 mph or greater on an upward incline, or at 68-70 mph minimum on flat ground. Any idea what this could be? It recently barely failed an emissions test, but I didn't drive it much before the test.

Since I started a new job right down the street, I've very rarely driven the car at highway speeds in the last 6 months.

I've been reading posts about how to acquire the trouble code, and haven't had a chance to look at the car yet, but might as well ask now if the connector that needs to be jumped is merely under the dashboard, or is it inside the dashboard?

Reply to
rekuci

Actually to amend my first post - I used a paperclip to get the fault code (this is all new to me), there is only one: 26 "quad driver output fault"

It appears it could be the following: EGR solenoid (no EGR fault 32 though), evap canister purge solenoid, coolant fan relay, A/C relay, speedometer output, coolant hot light, and traction control in '93 automatic model.

The compressor on this car has been dead since I bought it, and it never sent out any faults before. As far as I know, the coolant fan is functional as of last week, but better check again. The engine was running cool when this occurred. Canister purge solenoid, whatever that does, is suspect...guess for a $15 part it's worth replacing. Sounds like it craps out on tons of Saturns in this year range.

Reply to
rekuci

you need to go to a garage (NOT dealer)to have it read. I had a SES and the local garage found my coolant temp was zero (bad temp sensor). Cost about $20 to replace.

Reply to
Nick Hull

This seems likely. My wife's car had similar symptoms (SES came on while driving at medium to high speeds, Code 26) and it was the canister purge solenoid. It's a bit of a pain to get to but if you get under the car and use a mirror to look at the back of the engine it's not so bad.

Could also be the EGR valve solenoid.

Tim.

Reply to
shoppa

Well, my SES light came on in my 97 SC1 and I was also experiencing a rough idle. Had fuel pump replaced ($450) - light goes off. Few weeks later, comes on again!!! Now I have to get something called an ignition module replaced($330). They say it will fix the rough idle (dealer mind you, yeah I know I know) and it does NOT. I dont know what else to do. IT is also going close to overheating in traffic as well which Im told is OK as long as it doesnt go into the red. Are these guys rooking me or what? So, Im concerned about the rough idle. Any ideas?

Reply to
Weezay

How did you use a paperclip to get the SES code?

Reply to
Weezay

How many miles... When was your last tune up... What is the condition of your plugs and wires... Did you go to long before a tune up... What are your plugs gapped to... and What are the codes?

"My Saturns over heat> How did you use a paperclip to get the SES code?

"You" cant, you just said yours is a 97.

Reply to
blah blah
112000 and YES, I also had a tune up which I prob didnt need because I had one a year ago. Ive spent 1500 in the last month and I'm about to pull my hair out!
Reply to
Weezay
112000 and YES, I also had a tune up which I prob didnt need because I had one a year ago. Ive spent 1500 in the last month and I'm about to pull my hair out!
Reply to
Weezay
112000 and YES, I also had a tune up which I prob didnt need because I had one a year ago. Ive spent 1500 in the last month and I'm about to pull my hair out!
Reply to
Weezay

Get the engine code. My guess given the lack of any other information and with the 112K mileage (later message) stated is the EGR valve. I'd also suggest a good cleaning of the throttle body to address the rough idle if the engine was recently tuned.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to
J Swain

Ive had the codes read on two separate occasions in the last MONTH - first set were P0300,P0341, P0656 - replaced fuel pump. 2nd set of codes were P0300,P0341 - I now realized those are the same codes yet they replaced a NEW part - ignition module. I still have the rough idle even though I was assured by the dealer who serviced it that the idle was gone. I also replaced 4 tires which stopped the car shaking, although I think I still feel it shake a little bit still.

Reply to
Weezay

First time code also included P0171 - these guys are most likely ripping me off blind.

Reply to
Weezay

Reply to
M. Lawson

Reply to
freak

If your vehicle is sohc and code P0300 indicates general misfires. After having done all mentioned, the intake manifold gasket maybe leaking. a quick check can confirm the condition - you will need a spray can of carburetor clean, to check you need to spray the carb clean at the intake manifold gasket at cylinder #1 area. If the engine shudders it means the intake gasket is leaking. You will need to correct problem asap, or unburn fuel will do damage to the catalytic converter.

Reply to
DigitoNut