Service Engine Soon

Hello All,

I have a '91 Grand Prix with the 3.1. Occasionally on a cold start my "service engine soon" light will come on but goes right back out after about a minute or two. I know that when this happens I need to have a code from the computer translated however since the light goes right back out again is this a real reason for concern? I recently had the emissions test done and everything passed fine.

Also, Does the light have to be on at the time of the code reading or does the computer retain that information?

Any information and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Reply to
T CHAPPELL

On vehicles that old it may or may not store the code if the light is not constant. It's free to find out, assuming you can borrow a paper clip. see

Geoff Welsh

My '91 Grand Prix used to do the same thing. I read the codes very often, but it never came up with any.

Reply to
80 Knight