SL2 "generator" output

What is the normal amperage output of a healthy SL2 "generator"?

Reply to
tholen

I believe it's 90 amps

Reply to
Thomas Abell

Well, if it isn't the March 1998 kook of the month!

One would think that if you are as smart as you think you are, you would know that an SL2 has an alternator, not a generator.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

What does your title have to do with Saturn cars, bandit?

One would think that someone who knows anything about Saturn cars would also know that Saturn calls them generators, despite being alternators, hence my use of quotation marks.

I see that you didn't answer the question. Not that an antagonist needs to do so to satisfy an emotional need to antagonize, so it comes as no surprise at all.

Reply to
tholen

For a 97 SL2, the spec is 90 Amps maximum output.

This is for the alternator with an external fan - they've changed them to another one with an internal fan since 97.

It degrades with increasing temperature though.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

Generator - 1 : one that generates Alternator - an electric generator for producing alternating current

An alternator is a generator. Both the old style generator with a commutator and an alternator with slip rings are electrical generators. Alternators produce alternating current which is rectified into direct current (usually internally). So I think trying to bust somebody for calling an alternating current generator a generator is a little too picky.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Technically, an alternator is a form of generator.

Reply to
Dan Hicks

Yes - but the difference is a generator generates electricity without energizing the field. In other words, take 2 cars, one with a generator, one with an alternator. Take the battery out of each. Roll down a hill and pop the clutch in 3rd gear. The car with the generator will start, while the car with the alternator will not.

While one may be a form of the other, they are different things, at least in this circumstance.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Which says absolutely nothing about why you completely ignored my use of quotation marks around the word, and also relied on invective in your response.

Reply to
tholen

Actually, I've many times pop-started a car with an alternator. Generally there's enough juice in the battery to power the ignition, just not enough to run the starter.

Whether or not a generator is self-energizing or not depends on the mutual design of generator and voltage regulator. Alternator voltage regulators aren't designed to depend on self-energizing, so alternators aren't designed with the "hard" pole pieces needed to maintain magnetism when not powered. Using softer poles allows for higher peak magnetic flux and less hysteresis loss.

Reply to
Dan Hicks

In some cases, you can.

I had a battery go deader than a doornail. I went to the mall, had the car parked for 15 minutes. Came back out, NOTHING, NADA, ZIP, wouldn't even make the door dinger ding.....

I got a jump and drove directly to get a new battery. In the process, while entering the wal mart parking lot, I clicked the key off to see if I could pop it........no way, wasn't happening. So I bought a new battery and it was all better.

Although, I would imagine that during a normal "left the headlights on, car won't start" deal, the batt would probably have enough juice to energize the alt and start the car.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Yeah, had a Citation that I had to be sure to park on a hill for several weeks, since I didn't have the time to get the battery changed. Must have pop-started it a dozen times. But when the battery literally blew up on our Voyager I doubt that any size hill could have gotten it started.

Reply to
Dan Hicks

This depends entirely on the relative designs of the two types. It is possible to design either to be self energizing. Sometimes an alternator will self energize (because of residual magnetism) but it this is not an intentional part of the design of any common automotive alternator I have seen. I don't think it is a good idea to run either without the battery in place to act as a damper.

Either way they are both generators, just of different types. If you want to bust someone for calling an alternator a generator, then you should be consistent and bust people for calling a dynamo a generator as well. Dynamo is an accepted name for a DC generator, just like alternator is an accepted name for an AC generator.

See:

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

What were the circumstances of it deciding to blow up?

Reply to
BANDIT2941

It was just sitting in a parking lot on a perfectly normal day. Went to start the car (after a 15-minute shopping stop) and there was a loud "bang", and it stopped cranking. Opened the hood and discovered the entire front of the battery had blown away.

A bit of serendipity, though, was that this has happened within 20 feet of an auto parts store. One of the guys from the store came out and changed the battery for us for free (after we paid for the battery, of course).

Reply to
Dan Hicks

Thats a lucky one.....

Usually that sort of thing happens as far away from a store as possible......

Reply to
BANDIT2941

possible......

Yeah, like when you're 4-wheeling and are stuck with both differentials on the ground.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

Yep, I hadn't been that lucky since about 1970 when the rotor of my Corvair disassembled itself directly across from the only service station (or civilization of any kind) for 20 miles. (This was back when service stations actually carried auto parts, of course.)

Reply to
Dan Hicks