100,000 Mile service

I am at about 110000 miles on my 97 SL1 and I was wondering what kind of things I should have checked/replaced/flushed. I bought the car with 85000 miles on it 2 years ago and have only had oil changes (every 3000) and the egr valve replaced. What other types of things should I do. I don't know when many things were replaced from the previous owner, I never got the service records when I bought the car. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

William

Reply to
William Koscielny

Ask the dealer - they will give you a $$$$ list of things to do.

RR snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
GHOF

Standard maintenance stuff if it has not been done lately:

Spark plugs, ignition wires, gas filter, air filter, PCV valve, transmission filter and fluid change (assuming automatic), engine coolant (depending on if 2-year/green or 5-year/orange) front disc brakes (check), rear drum shoes (check). Note: There is no timing belt since it is chain driven.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

My dealer has a schedule - check out...

Jonnie Santos

thanks for the link. my wife has a 2002 sl1 and i was wondering the same as far as a good maint. program. where abouts in san diego are you? i grew up in the pt. loma area, now live in north carolina. thanks again

Reply to
Charles H.

You're welcome.

Used to be a lot of Portuguese in Pt. Loma - guess that's changed since the fishing fleet left.

I'm in City Heights (grew up in Kearny Mesa), and bought and service my Saturn at Saturn of Kearny Mesa.

Point Loma is changing a lot since NTC closed. The last dry cleaners that had the 40's style sailor artwork on the windows is gone. I meant to get some pictures before, but missed the opportunity. And they bulldozed a lot of the old place and have built new townhomes and condos there. Check out:

I've got a QuickTime VR from NTC too - check out:
I've heard the Carolina's are pretty - green, lush and southern hospitality and all that.

Happy Thanksgiving

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

cool. i left pt loma in 1983 so its been a while since i had been there

Reply to
Charles H.

Check the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual. Anything that is listed that you don't have any history for, and cannot be determined from inspection (e.g. tire and brake pad wear), ought to be done so that you can start everything from a known date and mileage.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

William Koscielny wrote:

What's an egr valve?

Reply to
Steve Christianson

Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve: its purpose is to allow exhaust gases to be mixed into the fresh intake air supply. This reduces pollution by burning any unspent fuel. The valve is generally controlled by an electrical signal from the engine computer to a solenoid, but can also be mechanically activated (manifold vacuum) on older vehicles. The valve opens or closes based on the engine RPM.

They have a tendency to get "coked up" and stick causing the engine's exhaust sensors to report a code 032 EGR error and setting the Service Engine Soon light. Since the valve occasionally works, the SES light can be intermittent and may not stay lit. The fix is very simple since the valve can easily be removed and usually can be cleaned with a small flat blade screwdriver, wire brush, and some high temp lubricant. The cost is about $3 for a replacement EGR gasket.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Actually, it reduces pollution by lowering the amount of oxygen and nitrogen in the fuel mixture going into the cylinders. This reduces NOx.

Reply to
Dan Hicks

Thanks, Bob. So basically it's a glorified PCV valve?

Bob Shuman wrote:

Reply to
Steve Christianson

A PCV valves function is to draw gases from the crankcase and burn them up to prevent dumping them into the atmosphere. It has a restriction (an orifice) to prevent too large a percentage of gases being draw in an any one time and it as a check vale function to prevent backfires from forcing burring intake tract gases into the sump/valve cover and possibly lighting off the gases in the sump. An EGR valve is intended to meter exhaust gases into the intake in order to replace some of the normal fuel air/mixture with inert gases (inert because they were already burned once). This allows for better filling of the cylinder but since some percentage of the gases are inert, the overall flame speed and peak temperature of the "explosion" during the power stroke are reduced. This helps reduce the formation of nitrogen oxides and can reduce pre ignition because of the lower peak temperatures and slower flame speed. The EGR valve is opened only under certain conditions. In modern cars it is usually electronically controlled, although it may use engine vacuum to do the actual work of opening and closing the valve.

Ed

Steve Christians>

Reply to
C. E. White