...speaking of motor mounts ..

2002 SL1 110,000 km I bought the car in 2006 at 50 months old ; 65,000 km. Saturn dealer told me, at my first service visit that the upper motor mount was worn & needing replacement. I figured that it should be a warranty repair - he said no. Then I asked why only 4 years 65,000 to wear out the mount. He replied that it was an aftermarket mount - poor quality. I then asked why the OEM mount wore out BEFORE 4 years 65,000 ! .... to require an aftermarket - long before I bought the car. Errrrr.. hummmm. hemmm .. So long Saturn dealer. Question - at what point should I be concerned about the motor mount wear ? When I notice some sort of vibration ? What sort of costs would I expect for labour / parts ? Thanks ; John T
Reply to
hubops

In general motor mounts should last for years unless the environment attacks whatever seals the rubberish lump to the metal.

Or it could be an indication of an accident or someone who really drives a car hard. Especially with a manual shift.

Back in my teens (late 60s) I saw one or two where the rubber had split into 2 pieces but that was years ago.

Or at times some things just wear out sooner than expected. ;)

David

Reply to
DLR

on a 2002 model that has already gone through 2 motor mounts I would have also been concerned. Aftermarket mounts shouldn't matter. Sounds like you were shopping the "bargain basement", so caveat emptor, dude. Older Saturns have a 3 yr, 36,000 mi. warranty anyways. S-series did go through mounts once in a moon but not that often unless the car was raced or driven hard.

Reply to
marx404

I had a bad experience at the Saturn dealership too.

They tried to sell me all kind of repairs that the car didn't need. Along with the engine problems, I had one flat tire, so they automatically wanted to sell me four new tires.

I bought no tires from them, and took my car out of there. I was half afraid they wouldn;t let me take it!

Reply to
kohlrabi_croce