Symptoms of Bad Motor Mounts?

Last time I was at Saturn they said one of the motor mounts was just within spec and would need attention eventually. I left it for another day. But I was wondering, what do you see, feel, or hear when motor mount replacement is necessary?

I have noticed recently while idling in neutral that the motor was running rough. When I paid close attention I realized the motor was running fine, but engine vibration seemed increased. Is this what happens, more shaking is transferred into the frame when the mounts fail? Seems to make sense to me, but what do I know!

Reply to
Box134

That is a symptom. If you are talking about an S-series? the upper torsion mount can be checked by using your index finger as a gage. The bracket is like an upside down U. If you can stick your finger through the upper center part of the U then the mount should be good. If its completely collapsed you cant stick you finger in there. Another method (for all makes and models) is to have someone put the car in gear, hold the brake, and you visually watch the engine as its given a little gas and let off. You would then monitor how much movement the engine makes.

A tune up could solve a rough idle as well if thats what it needs.

Reply to
blah blah

Yep, that's it. It will seem very smooth once you replace the mount.

Reply to
Ratbert

Mine got bad enough that when I made right-hand turns it made a clicking noise. Thought the CV joints were going and were changed to no avail, but it ended up being the upper mount.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

On a different brand car I thought the motor mounts were going but the dealer said it was the rear auto transmission mount. He turned out to be right.

Reply to
Art

Thanks to all who replied, blah2, Rathbert, Peg, and Art. Careless of me, it is a 96SL2.

I think the mount is about a $100 item. Guess I'll have it done soon.

Reply to
Box134

The Torque Axis Mount was about $65 or so as I recall for the part at the dealer ... it took about 15 minutes to install if you have a jack and some tools. I have no idea what the dealer or a garage would charge, but suspect it would be more than $100 total.

There are other lower motor mounts, but they rarely go bad. If it is one of them, then the cost will be much higher.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I went through 2 or 3 (can't remember) and the bill was closer to $200 at the dealer. The first replacement on my 97 required a stud kit (Saturn bounced back and forth on the kit - yours may not require one). I also had the dogbone mounts replaced with stiffer aftermarkets which translated lots more engine vibration but but less stress on the TAM.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Jonnie Santos typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

$35 at Advance Auto.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

While I agree that the lower mounts last a lot longer than the upper mounts, I disagree because I've found they don't cost a lot. I replaced the lower dogbone mount and it was only $30 from the dealer, way less than the upper mount.

Tim.

Reply to
shoppa

Explanation: I assumed they were having work done *versus doing it themselves). Cost was of the labor since replacement is much more involved and will take longer - there fore cost more. Part itself is likely around the same cost as the TAM.

Reply to
Bob Shuman