Temp gauge readings

How high can the temprature gauge go without the car over heating? I have a 93 SC2, and usually run the A/C when I see the temperature gauge get a little more than half way on the gauge, just to turn the cooling fan on just to bring the temperature down. This happens when I'm stuck in traffic.

If I don't do this, the guage keeps climbing. Today I just let it get about just before the red area, then switched the A/C to cool the car down. When should the fan come on without me needing to turn on the A/C? I'm afraid if I just let the temperature climb without doing anything, the fan will never switch on.

Reply to
Art*

There are 2 sensors on this car. One for the gauge, and another for control. The control feed the PCM to control both rad fan and fuel injector pulse width based on coolant temp. It seems that is not that uncommon for the control sensor to go bad. Even though your gage goes up, it is possible the PCM always sees a cool engine temp.

Reply to
Mike Martin

This has been discussed at length here in the past. You can find it all in Google groups:

*saturn* Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

It's perfectly normal for the engine temp to get a hiar abouve the three quarter mark. At that point, the cooling fan kicks in until the temp is back down around the quarter mark. Your engine is going to heat up in traffic because there's no air hitting your radiator, cooling it down. If the cooling fan does NOT kick in when it starts to tip towards the very edge of the red, I'd suggest getting the cooling fan relay checked - it might be bad if you have to turn the fan on maually.

Reply to
GoAwAy669

My 97's gage was like that when new, and then when a temp sensor was replaced the point where the fan kicks in is at the halfway mark. Whether it was the sensor alone or a PCM flash (updated EPROM programming) I don't remember.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Guys,

The radiator fan motor is a DC motor that uses brushes. It is a wear item! It's also a sealed motor (no brush replacement caps) so you have to simply replace the whole motor when it dies. While the relay can also wear out, this is far less common than fan motors wearing out.

So, if your temperature is going too high, check to see if the fan is working.

If the fan is not working, suspect the fan motor first.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

*saturn*>

Woobie