Throttle plate sticking -- fixed, but a question

95 SW2, automatic, "alternative fuel" model (burns oil).

The throttle plate was sticking, and opened it up to find lots of black grime, which I cleaned out. Now it is working nicely, but it begs the question -- how did that stuff get there in the first place? Is it symptomatic of other problems that need to be fixed? There is a small black rubber hose going from the valve cover to the air intake, presumably to recirculate fumes from that space.

Is the problem related to the fact that the engine uses oil? TIA.

Reply to
elephantcelebes

That is typical across all car engines. That is why they make throttle body cleaner. The fact that it burns oil could make it build up faster. I clean mine about once a year.

James

Reply to
James1549

You do not say how many miles, but throttle bodies get bad on almost every type of modern fuel injected engine so I'd say this is normal and nothing indicating a problem. Regarding the oil consumption, though a rebuild is the permanent fix, there are some easy things you can do to improve this situation:

  1. Replace your PCV valve. A clogged PCV contributes to consumption
  2. Use slightly heavier oil, say 10W-30 during summer, instead of 5W-30.
  3. Remove plugs and do an overnight cylinder soak using Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery Oil.

On #3 above, do a web search since the process is well documented in the Saturn Forum or Google Archives. This helps to dislodge carbon build up in the piston rings so reduces blow by and oil burning. Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

It's frequently from exhaust gase recirculation.

Reply to
o-dawg