trans fails when hot. fine when cold?

'96 saturn with 140,000 miles. When the engine is cold, the trans is fine, or if I'm on the highway and maintaining a constant high speed, its fine. But if I'm in stop and go traffic for over thirty minutes it will not shift into fourth gear. eventually all but the first gear will go. Had the service engine light checked and it said that I had an icorrect gear ratio. I have all of the saturn service manuals for this car and they don't say anything about athe gear ratio. If anybody knows what to do it would be a great help.

Reply to
FubarSaturn

Do a Google search of this group for "valve body".

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

The trouble is, by now the dammage is done, and he's got toasted clutches :(

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

wrote:>96 saturn with 140,000 miles. When the engine is cold, the trans is fine,

Hello, My 97 SC2 had a trans. problem similar. The difference was the car wouldn`t start in first gear then not in second gear. Took it to the dealer and it seems the wiring harness going into the trans. was wound so tight with tape that when it got hot the wires inside the tape fused into one another causing a short. Thus the trans. prob. They replaced the wire harness and the problem went away. Hope this helps. Dan.

Reply to
Mason121